Grand River Racing's Inframe the Hooker and the Stripper

O.G.

I've had OOF and in-frame Grand River pipes on my bike, both caused my engine to overheat severely. The in-frames came with Pro circuit tailpipes and silencers and the OOF's had 7\8 OD stingers. I had both pipes on the dyno and had been tuned to 13.5. My engine never overheated again after I put Shearers on it.

Don't Pro circuit pipes have a 7/8 OD stinger and tailpipe too??????

I don't think he understands that a 4 mill 73 bore engine puts off a lot more heat than a 4 mill 64 bore.

So Andy built those pipes for that combo or recommended those pipes for your set up? Or did you just buy them second hand to run?

So the hooker is built for ice racing and MX even though those types of riding require completely different motors?

Any engine I would build would be built for maximum power for the money invested into it. There should be no difference in porting. Same heads cut same carbs. Same reeds timing everything. Different pipe though. I would run the Hooker on the moto-x and the stripper on the ice track. Two reasons most engine guys keep raising the exhaust port. Number one, the can't build pipes or number two, the can't build engines!

This is why Grand River Racing has never had "dune port, drag port, trail port, or whatever port". Our porting is based on the money you want to spend. Yes I do 150. Port jobs. Done many. But don't expect to take over the world with it!

I've had OOF and in-frame Grand River pipes on my bike, both caused my engine to overheat severely. The in-frames came with Pro circuit tailpipes and silencers and the OOF's had 7\8 OD stingers. I had both pipes on the dyno and had been tuned to 13.5. My engine never overheated again after I put Shearers on it.

Don't Pro circuit pipes have a 7/8 OD stinger and tailpipe too??????

I don't think he understands that a 4 mill 73 bore engine puts off a lot more heat than a 4 mill 64 bore.

What does 13.5 mean. Rpm's?

What do you mean by overheating? My guess is your timing is too high. This will cause way more problems with heat issues than a stinger that is too small.

Nope don't understand shit bout pipes and engines.

there have been a lot of knock off pipes sold on ebay.  most of them were claimed to be grr or CPI.  at least back in the day when grand river was the BBD. 

and not that i'm defending anyone but all kinds of things can cause overheated engine and blown motor/ holes in piston.  hell there are probably 200 posts on this site with pics of that exact thing happening.  i dont think even one of them has a solution as to pipe stinger size.  i would say tho that a stinger that smal can make some power BUT will be a short burst pipe.  run them down a dirt road with to much of a "dyno" tune on them and its going to roast.

So your strategy is to build the motor for max HP and then let the pipes determine power characteristics?

Uh. Yes. Hmmmm. Is that bad? Not sure how to take your question. If your seriously asking a legit question, yes this is the ONLY way to build an engine. The pipe controls the powerband. The pipe determines when and how long. How hard and over rev.