Keeping the Banshee cool

WantABanshee

I run some hairy trails in the mountains and woods and have never overheated.

Yea..but your in Vancouver?

You probably have never experience what most of us on the east coast experience during the summer months...80-90 degree temps which isn't a factor until you add in the 80% humidity.Some of us need all the cooling we can get.

• Like 1

You probably have never experience what most of us on the east coast experience during the summer months...80-90 degree temps which isn't a factor until you add in the 80% humidity.Some of us need all the cooling we can get.

I have also ridden Banshees and RZ's in Africa where it gets way above 90 and never had issues there either.

• 3 months later...

If you keep moving you should never have problems. If you're stupid like me then you'll go mud bogging and overheat the bitch. I run 50/50 with a half bottle of Redline water wetter and it will still overheat if you go too slow. These bikes were made to go. I don't believe that Engine Ice would keep me from overheating if I mud bog so I don't see the advantage. Keep a bottle of water in your backpack to cool your rad a little if it overheats. Just go as fast as you can whenever you can.

common sense goes a long way

if you have a pretty stock bike and you are just trail riding around, you shouldnt be overheating it, it would be pretty hard to do

just dont stay in one place spinning your tires all day i guess... the faster you go, the better the radiator works

If you keep moving you should never have problems. If you're stupid like me then you'll go mud bogging and overheat the bitch. I run 50/50 with a half bottle of Redline water wetter and it will still overheat if you go too slow. These bikes were made to go. I don't believe that Engine Ice would keep me from overheating if I mud bog so I don't see the advantage. Keep a bottle of water in your backpack to cool your rad a little if it overheats. Just go as fast as you can whenever you can.

mud bogging and banshee do not go in the same sentence !

• Like 1

Never had a problem with a overheating banshee, I have the billet impeller not because i was afraid it would break but to increase coolant flow. I also run the engine ice in both my quads and inline coolers in the hi temp CV4 radiator hoses (on my LTR 450). My Bro-in-law also made me a copper fitting (from plumbing fittings) for the return radiator hose where I was able to hook up a standard automotive temp gauge that gives you the no $hit collant temp so if it gets to hot, take a break. I mounted the temp gauge next to the radiator shroud on the front plastic near the plastic fastener to watch it while i ride.

to the guy that said stock impellers never fail. last year i bough 5 clutch covers pc'd them and sold them on ebay and out of 5 covers 4 of them had a damaged or broken impeller. 2 were completely round and the other 2 were cracked. I cant say weather those peoples bikes overheated or not but I can tell you for a fact the stock impellers do fail.

it seemed to heat up quite a bit before I jetted her.

a few weeks ago we went out and heat was never a problem. But we kept moving and it was only 15 degrees in the hills.

Also when I went from reg green to engine ice I noticed a temp drop.

• 1 month later...

Billet impeller? i'm just curious? how many people know of engine problems with the stock impeller going bad? I understand the theory, but have talked to several builders that say they have never seen one fail. :confused:

Oh they fail! Almost every other banshee motor I tear down has the impeller warped, ground down or rounded off. Once they warp and bind, the drive gear breaks and your done! All it takes is a previous owner overheating it a few times from poor jetting, low speed riding with high rev's, or riding with a mudded up radiator and it'll overheat that impeller and destroy it. The billet impeller is cheap and it works. In my shop....if your buying a water pump gasket...you also buying a billet impeller. ;)

X2 on the Engine Ice. :headbang:

• 2 weeks later...

just go fast and have a temp guage hooked up to the engine so you know when to shut her down if need be,

I have a oversize rad,billet impeler,in line cooler and cool head and i've had mine spu out some coolant in the woods,so if your not moving for air flow and your engine is running,your going to overheat

to hot for my ride i would jet up richer and cary some extra plugs . or hook up a fan to the radiator.

and don't let some no it all ride your banshee like myself and blow the engine lol.

• 2 weeks later...