newbie with a problem

Hi guys I'm Kent. I jist signed up. I jist bought a 98 Banshee with a 392 big bore kit and fmf gnarly pipes. It has twin k&n filters with no air box and cool heads. And carbon fiber reeds. They guy claimed it had a problem he couldn't figure out... I have had several blasters but a banshee has been my dream for a long time, so when he offered it this cheap I snatched it up. He thought it probably needed jet work. I am unsure. It runs good at idle but after like 1/8 throttle bogs out and wont Rev any higher. It has 260 jets which from what I can tell is way off. I think pilots are stock. What is yalls opinion? ?

It needs 27.5 pilots and I would start at 280 main and see how it runs from there.

Since you just got it, I would tear the carbs apart and make sure all of the jets are clean. You could have something plugged.

New spark plugs would be a good idea also. You will need NGK B8ES plus.

Also make sure the air filters are clean.

Report back.

What elevation are you running at? 260 mains are way small for that setup. I would start at 300 and adjust from there. 

• Like 2

It is hard to start because your pilot is too small. I was just messing with a set of FMF pipes the other day on a guys bike and I ended up with 30 pilots in it at sea level. I would start with 27.5 pilots and 300 main jets and see how it runs and adjust from there. 

• Like 1

392, those Athena cylinders? That motor isn't the best but it will however need to eat quite a bit of fuel to perform at it's potential and not melt down.

As stated, 27.5 pilot, needle second clip from the bottom, 300-320 main.

Timing is done on the stator plate. It is behind the flywheel. Check to see if you have an adjustable plate. You can hoopty mod the stocker or buy a nice Billit unit from about $50 bucks to $75. Mattoon and chariot seem to have the nicest ones for the money.

Porting, certainly worth it if you have someone reputable do it. NOT your local dealer or repair shop. Typically it goes from 250-500 depending on who is doing and how much they are doing. I've seen the Athena's getting done for $325-350 quite steadily.