Banshee Bottom End Assembly Walkthrough

BigRed350x

This is just a simple walk-through. This is NOT a substitution for a clymer manual! This is to be used in conjunction with your clymer manual. If you are unsure of any of this or don't have the tools, send your engine to a professional builder to have the work done. I am not a professional builder, but I am happy to help anyone I can. Any time you encounter a locking washer, or a part that you bend to lock a nut in place, use NEW ones whenever possible.

Here's an outline of this build...

Stock stroke, Herr Jugs ported stock cylinders, Lightened flywheel, Billet Basket, Pancake Bearing, Shift Star Mod, Billet Water Impeller, Cool Head, Adjustable Timing Plate, Steel Bushing on idler gear, Cases port-matched to cylinders, Wiseco piston kit, Billet Dipstick, and FMF gold-series pipes.

Start with a clean work-space and clean materials.

5c8567a3.jpg

Insert the shift drum into the bottom case half.

DSC00001.jpg

Slide the front fork rod through the lower case half. Once the fork rod is through the case, align the first shift fork with the rod and shift drum and slide the rod through the fork. Once the shift rod is through the shift fork, install the C-clip on the end of the rod.

DSC00002.jpg

DSC00003.jpg

Here you can see the shift fork rod sitting flush with the cases.

DSC00005.jpg

Repeating the process with the rear shift fork rod.

DSC00006.jpg

DSC00007.jpg

DSC00008.jpg

DSC00009.jpg

Here you can see the shift drum, shift fork rods, and shift forks all installed.

DSC00010.jpg

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Next, install the shift drum keeper.

DSC00011.jpg

DSC00012.jpg

DSC00013.jpg

Install the neutral switch cover on the opposite side of the shift drum. I took this pic for reference, but waited to install this part until after I had the cases together since I am using a chain guard that bolts through the neutral switch cover.

DSC00014.jpg

Install the alignment dowel for the shift star.

DSC00015.jpg

Install the shift star onto the end of the drum.

DSC00016.jpg

DSC00017.jpg

Install and tighten the bolt down that holds the shift star in place.

DSC00018.jpg

DSC00019.jpg

• Like 3

Next, install the roller that rides on the shift star.

DSC00021.jpg

DSC00023.jpg

DSC00025.jpg

Install the shift shaft alignment bolt and lock washer.

DSC00026.jpg

DSC00027.jpg

Install the shift shaft and set the alignment bolt where it needs to be. Make sure you install the shift shaft seal on the opposite side of the cases before installing the shift shaft. The seal can be put in with the shift shaft in place on the engine, but it’s a lot easier to do without the shaft in place.

DSC00030.jpg

The distance between the upper and lower pegs and the shift shaft claws needs to be equal on the top and bottom.

DSC00031.jpg

DSC00032.jpg

Once the proper alignment has been achieved, hold the adjustment bolt in place and tighten down the lock nut.

DSC00034.jpg

Bend the lock washer over the lock nut.

DSC00035.jpg

Set the transmission in place. Make sure you have all your bearings in place, and that the half-moon shaped bearing keepers are in place in the lower case half before installing the transmission shafts.

DSC00036.jpg

DSC00037.jpg

Install the crank, ensuring the crank bearing pins are lined up whith the case correctly. Also install the crank seals before installing the crank.

DSC00043.jpg

Cover the top and bottom case sealing surfaces with your choice of case sealant. I've always used the red hi-temp engine silicone. I've used this on every engine I've built and have never had any issues. Once both case surfaces are covered, bolt the case halves together, following the guidelines in your clymer manual.

DSC00044.jpg

Once your case sealant has dried you can remove any excess.

DSC00045.jpg

Install the stator / timing plate.

DSC00046.jpg

DSC00048.jpg

Here is where I install the chain guard.

DSC00047.jpg

Install the flywheel. Make sure you have the flywheel key seated correctly.

DSC00050.jpg

Pic of the top case half port-matched to the Herr Jugs Racing cylinders that will be used on this build.

DSC00052.jpg

DSC00053.jpg

Next up I'll do the idler gear. Install the spacer washer first.

DSC00057.jpg

Idler gear next.

DSC00058.jpg

Keyed washer

DSC00059.jpg

Next install the C-Clip that holds the idler gear in place.

DSC00061.jpg

Grease up the end of the clutch push-rod & install...

DSC00068.jpg

Grease up the clutch push-rod ball & install...

DSC00071.jpg

DSC00072.jpg

Install the square key on the crank. Some cranks leak around this key when you do a leak-down test. I always coat the key in the same red silicone I used to seal the cases.

DSC00074.jpg

Install the primary drive gear onto the crank.

DSC00075.jpg

Next put the water pump drive gear on the crank.

DSC00076.jpg

Put the spring washer on... This washer is meant to be installed in a certail direction. Make sure you read your clymer manual and install the washer the correct direction.

DSC00078.jpg

Install the crank nut & torque down to the proper spec...

DSC00079.jpg

Don't forget this little bolt...

DSC00081.jpg

Here's where I stopped for the night.

DSC00082.jpg

DSC00083.jpg

DSC00084.jpg

The next morning I installed the clutch, kick-starter, and put together my side-cover after sand-blasting.

DSC00091.jpg

Put one of the thick washers/spacers on the clutch shaft first.

DSC00092.jpg

Next is the steel sleeve that sits inside the clutch bushing.

DSC00093.jpg

Then install your clutch basket. (I’m just re-using an old billet basket for this build. It might look like its grooved up, but its just the anodizing worn off where the fiber plates ride on the basket.) Nothing fancy, but it will work just fine for this little banshee.

DSC00094.jpg

DSC00095.jpg

Next install the 2nd thick washer/spacer/whatever you want to call it…

DSC00096.jpg

Slide the inner hub onto the clutch shaft.

DSC00097.jpg

DSC00098.jpg

Put your lock-washer in its place on the inner hub. (Don’t re-use the old one, just buy a new one. They are only a few bucks.) This one was riding around in one of my parts boxes for a couple years. lol

DSC00099.jpg

Put the clutch nut on and torque it to the specs outlined in your Clymer manual.

DSC00101.jpg

DSC00102.jpg

Put the clutch in… Fiber, steel, fiber, steel, fiber, steel… etc. If your steel plates are keyed make sure you get them installed correctly. Mine are not keyed, so away I go.. Make sure you soak your clutch plates in oil or trans fluid at least for a few hours before you install them. Mine soaked in some oil overnight.

DSC00103.jpg

DSC00104.jpg

ETC.

Once you have your clutch all stacked up and in place, put the outer clutch hub on. I am installing a pancake bearing on this engine, so I put it on before I install the outer hub.

DSC00105.jpg

Put a dab of grease on the end of the pancake bearing where it will contact the push-rod ball.

DSC00107.jpg

DSC00109.jpg

Put your clutch springs in place, and follow them up with the clutch spring bolts.

DSC00110.jpg

DSC00112.jpg

Torque the clutch spring bolts to the spec outlined in your Clymer manual.

DSC00115.jpg

Install the kick-starter assembly…

DSC00118.jpg

DSC00119.jpg

Swing the kick-starter return spring clockwise and attach the spring to the post on the cases.

DSC00121.jpg

DSC00122.jpg

Almost forgot the drain plug…

DSC00128.jpg

DSC00129.jpg

I sand-blasted my side-cover, so I had to install new seals and water pump bearing & hardware.

DSC00130.jpg

First in is the water pump seal.

DSC00133.jpg

DSC00134.jpg

DSC00135.jpg

Then the water pump bearing. I drove mine in with a small rubber mallet.

DSC00137.jpg

DSC00138.jpg

Flip the side case over and install your water pump impeller. I went with the billet impeller.

DSC00139.jpg

DSC00141.jpg

Flip the cover back over and put in the dowel that will engage with the water pump gear.

DSC00143.jpg

DSC00144.jpg

Install the water pump gear. Make sure the grooves on the gear line up with the dowell when you install it.

DSC00145.jpg

Then put the washer on top of the gear.

DSC00147.jpg

Then the c-clip snaps into the water impeller shaft.

DSC00148.jpg

DSC00149.jpg

Flip the cover back over & install the water pump cover with a new gasket.

DSC00151.jpg

DSC00153.jpg

I don’t use the front breather hose on the side-cover. In fact most aftermarket covers have this completely removed. I use a little butane torch and heat up the fitting and plug it with some solder.

DSC00156.jpg

Install the kick-starter seal.

DSC00157.jpg

DSC00158.jpg

Back over on the cases… Install the clutch actuator arm seal.

DSC00001-1.jpg

I also dab some grease on the actuator arm bearing.

DSC00005-1.jpg

Then put the thin washer on top of the seal.

DSC00003-1.jpg

DSC00004.jpg

Attach the spring to the actuator arm & put it into the cases. Make sure you get the spring set on the keeper on the cases. If installed correctly, the spring will try and turn the clutch actuator arm towards the stator side of the cases.

DSC00006-1.jpg

DSC00007-1.jpg

Adjust your clutch using the adjustment bolt down by the pancake bearing installed earlier. The little arrow on the actuator arm should line up with the little arrow on the cases when you have it adjust correctly.

DSC00008-1.jpg

DSC00010-1.jpg

Tighten the adjustment lock nut down.

DSC00011-1.jpg

Remove the number 9 case bolt and install the clutch actuator arm holder.

DSC00012-1.jpg

Put the locking ring and O-ring on your coolant tube.

DSC00014-1.jpg

Using a new gasket, install the clutch side cover. Make sure you don’t pinch the gasket. Once I get mine started I like to put a couple of the side cover bolts in to help hold the gasket in place.

DSC00015-1.jpg

DSC00017-1.jpg

DSC00019-1.jpg

Water pump cover goes on next…

DSC00020-1.jpg

Billet dipstick…

DSC00021-1.jpg

Bolt on your stator cover…

DSC00022-1.jpg

DSC00023-1.jpg

Don’t forget this little dude. He holds the electrical wires from the stator, as well as holds your clutch cable in place once your engine is back in the frame.

DSC00026-1.jpg

That’s the end of the Banshee bottom end. Soon to come… Top End Assembly.

• Like 3