10mil cub with PV

360Bansheelab

I just picked up a 10mil cub power valve motor. I was pretty excited about the PV because I was told it would be more dunable. I dropped the motor off at a local shop to have it gone thru, the tech is trying to talk me into blocking the PV off. What are your thoughts, any benefit or loss either way?

Thanks in advance.

Yes. You should block off the PV if are drag racing. Hits the pipe harder. If you dune it keep the PV. And like Postman said its a cheetah not a Cub.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy note 3

Edited by 10milmike

i wont take the valves out of my "drag" motors no matter what.  allows me to run port numbers that are nearly impossible with a fixed port.  plus "hitting the pipe harder" just causes traction issues.. 

if some shop said take them out to make it more "duneable????"  go get the motor and find a real person to build it that knows whats up.  power valve cheetah's love a certain setup  just like any motor.

Traction issues no problem if your clutch is set up right. You are the only one I know that likes the PV. Every big name bulider will tell you to get rid of them. K&T, PACKARD, Shearer , D&M. Its all how the motor is set up.

And a cheetah doesn't get dropped off at any old shop either. Block off the valves? Time for a new shop with a CLUE.

My bad on the cub quote, It's a 10 mil cheetah. The shop is a reputable shop that builds quality and reliable bikes. They might have not been the best choice for this motor from the sounds of it. Sounds like a mix of opinion of keeping the PV. What are the benefit of keeping them vs blocking them off?

The little experience i have dealing with pv's.. I can honestly say, all the ones i rode,they made the motor more user friendly. I Rode a 535,492,485, and a 400 multiple times, all with power valves. All were way smoother of a power transition compared to my 421, and 465 cub. Now as far as power... I guess that depends.

power valve cylinders adjust exhaust port timing and shape throughout the rev range according to the engines needs providing a wider powerband than a conventional fixed port engine.

at least the "tech" at the unnamed shop you mentioned knows he`s out of his league and you picked up on that.

now you can send your shit to Wildcard Racing...for a BEAST MODE pv engine, he wont tell you to block off the pv`s...he`ll own that shit

When I was in Utah with Brandon told me the only way to go was to block off the PV. Because my are blocked off and my port job is done for them blocked off. Throw them away. They are junk.

Edited by 10milmike

thats interesting, so did brandon port your cylinders? i thought your motor originally came from trinity...maybe he saw all that was done to them and realised there is no going back lol

there are a couple of guys in this thread that wouldnt throw thier power valve set ups in the bin...kind of defeats the whole purpose of having them (low end torque)

No Mat Shearer did my Motor. And ported my cylinders. All Cheetah Originally came from Trinity. They have rights to the cheetah. When Calvin was alive he would not sell you a cheetah cylinder. Only way to get them was throw trinity. even if Brandon wanted to sell you set he would have to buy them from Harry. U can have my PV if you want them they r Junk. My motor was set up by shearer to run with out them the port timings are different. I put them in for shits and giggles and is ran like shit with them.

• Like 1

I spent 4 days at a camp site with Brandon and shay. Had nice long talks about my Cheetah. Out of his own mouth he said for hill shooting you do not need PV. Now for dune riding yes they are nice to have not so hard on the pipe. Nice smooth power.

Brandon did my 392. I requested to keep the pvs. It has a fatass midrange with a wicked topend pull and the transition into power is very smooth. The design is not ideal but the benefits are real. You can chop the throttle on the side of the hill and bog the shit out of it and it will zing right back up into the power band. Why would you not want every edge you can get on the dunes. I've noticed that the majority of people who don't run power valves have track queens run on manicured surfaces.

• Like 1