float level setting

bick

how important is it to adjust you float level setting. just re-jetted my carbs. And adjusting sycronization of the carbs after everthing is put back together, is there a big deal on that? . Should you also syc. your carbs after a throttle cable is replaced?

Typically if your carbs aren't overflowing/leaking or running out of fuel/ running the bowls dry or just not letting any fuel in, then dont touch the float adjustment.

On the carb syncing, hook up the throttle cable, take off the air cleaner and look into the intake to see if the slides appear to be the same height at idle (zero throttle), if not adjust idle so they are the same, then start it and adjust both idle screws evenly to get the desired idle RPM. Also the slides need to begin to move together at the same exact time when you begin pressing/twisting the throttle. Usually when your cable adjustment is out of sink you can hear the slides make 2 clunking noises when they close instead of one. Use the cable adjustment at the top of the carb to take the slack out of the cable on the carb slide that comes up late.

Typically on my stock carbs with TORS I never had to sync the carbs in slide idle height or cable pull even after taking the carb tops and slides off many times. They went back together the same as they came off, in sync. But, if you just put a new cable on then you will need to sync the carbs.

If you are running the stock carbs ? The float level height is 15 to 17 mm's. With the carb setting on a table upside down, and the bowl off, measure from the gasket seating surface to the top of the float. Top being when it is upside down. Would normally be the bottom if the carb was up right in the normal operating position. Your measurement should be between 15 and 17 mm's. If it is not adjust the height by gently bending the tab that seats against the float valve until you have the right measurement. If the level is to high it could cause your bike to run rich, if it is to low it could cause your bike to run to lean. So I would say that it is important for it to be as close to correct as possible.

Edited by duecebanshees

If you are running the stock carbs ? The float level height is 15 to 17 mm's. With the carb setting on a table upside down, and the bowl off, measure from the gasket seating surface to the top of the float.

Not sure, but I thought float height for stock carbs is 20 - 22 mm's from the carb WITHOUT the gasket. If thats the case, 15 - 17 mm's from the gasket seating surface would mean the gasket would have to be 5mm thick. :confused: