newbie with a problem

Needle clip is not your problem. If it is still hard to start and bogs bad you need to look deeper into the issue. Like was said earlier you need to look the TORS system over very well. I know it has been removed but have you chased the wiring all out to make damn sure every wire is unplugged and not jumped or anything like? 

^ reeds. Could be worth checking. Tug the carbs out and take a look. May wanna shine a flash light through the exhaust with the piston rotated in a way so that it lets light through to the reeds. This would help you see if there is a retarted gap at the petal tip to cage area.

Post a list of all the stuff you have tried so We don't badger you with the same stuff over and over.

I would Ohm out the stator and see if it checks out good if it does I would try to find another CDI box to bolt on it and see if that fixes it. Also have you tried taking off plug caps and cutting back plug wires just a little bit to make sure there is not a bad connection there?

If you look in the technical section here it will tell you how to ohm the stator out and see if it is good.