huge jets, basic serval setup.

apeik

setup is: 

421 serval as cast, brand new.

pump gas domes from redline cut for this setup

.050 squish, 152 psi each hole

cpi sb inframe pipes

stock cages with boyesen reeds

wicked billet intakes(sealed to death with 1211)

passes leakdown 6psi for 8 mins zero loss

35mm pwk carbs 55 pilot, cel 3rd/4th clip, 175 main(float hight checked, everything inside spotless)

700 ft elev. 70-80 degrees

San Diego, CA

All genuine Keihin jets

Now this is about as basic of serval setup as they come minus the reeds.  I bought the carbs new from fast about a year ago, and from the day i got them they have wanted retarded huge jetting or bike is way to lean(ate a set of pistons to find this out). It jets out like pwk 39mm's, I've checked more than once and they are 35's.  

Now a bit of backstory the motor i had before this was a passion ported cub, neverending problems including the jetting being crazy.  With that setup it ended up running good finally with 175 mains, dgk needles on the 5th...yes 5th clip and 55 pilots.  I assumed it was something to do with the retard port job that cub came with.  

Well now im running basically the same setup as tons of other people, and I'm having to use Huge jets, even compared to a friend with the same identical setup minus reeds and his bike wont rev out with anything over a 155 main, and smokes like a banshee.  Mine barely smokes with 175 mains, 55 pilots.  

I know my way around this bike pretty decent, but it makes no sense and feels like there's either something wrong with the carbs or possibly reeds.  Now i suppose as long as it jets out and runs good it shouldn't matter, but it bothers me.  Has anyone else ever seen anything like this?

Sorry for the long winded post, and thanks in advance for any insight.

-Aaron

U need to do a proper plug chop but that's not the first serval I heard of that high on jetting I tuned one with similar mods perfect chop at 172 / 52dgh 2nd clip and about 6 months back same basic set up just shearers I chopped down to a 165 /55 cel 4th clip every motor wants what it wants do chops keep it safe and trust your plugs , I have jetted 421 cubs that take less fuel then some servals

Ya, i need to do a plug chop, but i dont have room to get out of third gear at my shop without getting it impounded.  When it was on the dyno at shearers with the cub cylinders on it, is when it was at 175 main, dgk 5th clip, 55 pilot at 3k alttitude and he said the jetting was good.  Course it only made 82hp and was slipping the shit out of the clutch, now it's got a lockup.  i might try to swap carbs, prolly best direct way.

Edited by apeik

So i was brainstorming last night.. came into work and pulled the right cable adjuster boot up...and took a pic...appears they havnt been opening all the way with this stretched cable.

uqymamy9.jpg

They weren't outta sync..I pulled the boot on the right side up off the adjuster.. and took a pic to show they don't open 100%. cable so stretched that with the adjusters on their last thread they still don't open 100%. guessing I was never running fully on the main?

• Like 1

se5a9apa.jpg

this is with adjusters ran 1 thread from falling out. still till not completely open it appears

Try modding your thumb throttle and adjusting both ends of the cable properly. ( thumb side and carb tops)

Between the modded throttle and adjustments you should be able to open 40s if need be.

It's a twist..don't have any way to mod it..ordering the longer adjusters in a few minutes. it's the cable from the 2 into 1 part that's just to long

Gotcha. I bet when get them opened 100% you'll drop some on the mains.

Also a lot of guys find the cel needles to run a little cleaner than the "D" series needles on cub/serval cyls.

ordered the longer adjusters, so should be able to get them to open all the way when they come in.  Turns out my friends carbs were opening about 80% or so as well, but he had the longer adjusters, and they were so far adjusted down they were hitting the slide on the top to the adjuster :flush: .  I need more room to chop out the main and see where it ends up.