Going from gas to alky Questions

ok im getting ready to run alky or look into it, looking at sum mikuni 38tms w/pjs or 39 pwks, bike is a 370lr drag ported, blaster pistons, 17cc domes, already have a timing plate, a pingel, etc. have 17 cc domes and copmpression is at 175 lbs on each side, i will be using castor 927 premix, ridin at sea leel.. do i need more compression? how much do i or can i advance the timing? 

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have ran pwks for years without issue. The only down side is that they can't be converted back to gas. I'm about to switch to lectrons for my drag bike. As far as compression goes, all my drag bikes have run around 175psi. More compression would be fine, but at a certain point you will have to give up rpm. High compression and rpm put more stress on the crank and rods. Stick with castor oil. I have had techniplate flash rust cylinders within hours of shutdown. Definitely purge the motor and use a fogging oil for short periods between riding. I run my drag bikes at 32:1. Alcohol is considered a solvent and it gives me piece of mind running a good amount of oil.

I don't get the purge thing. Oregon is pretty fuggin moist. I never purge from the first of the summer until the end. Pull the junk apart and it looks brand new.

I never purge my junk either. My Wildcard motor was started on alky in May of 13 and never had a drop of gas in it. It run good enough to take a 1st and 2nd at the drags last weekend.