Does this amke sense?

Ok, you are on the right track now.

Your new filter set-up will be fine.

(Don't go treating your machine like a JetSki) LOL

Once you have your new filters, you can dial in your main jetting and needle position.

• Like 1

I swapped the pilots out last night.  I was expecting 27.5's but it actually still had 25's.  That is stock size, right? geez...

Also, I was wrong about one thing - the needle was in the 2nd position from the BOTTOM (rich).  I got mixed up and said it was in the 2nd position from the top in my original post. 

I swapped the pilots out last night. I was expecting 27.5's but it actually still had 25's. That is stock size, right? geez...

Also, I was wrong about one thing - the needle was in the 2nd position from the BOTTOM (rich). I got mixed up and said it was in the 2nd position from the top in my original post.

Well you are still on the right track with the #30 pilots. If it's TOO muddy and won't clean up with airscrews...then it might like 27.5 but it should like the #30's best.

Hey guys, does this plug look OK?  That's a carboard box in the background to compare.  I did the proper plug chop method.  Just want to make sure it isn't lean before I head out.  It's a little lighter than I was imagining but, when I compared to the cardboard box, it was very close in color.  Whatcha think? 

post-47331-0-22726600-1399132117_thumb.jpg

UF, my understanding is the needle is 1/4 to 3/4, with some overlap on each end of course.  I've read a ton on jetting lately - just never actually jetted anything so i'm certainly no expert.   

I feel like the needle is perfect after moving it from the 4th position up to the middle to lean it out a bit.  My power in the mid range is awesome.  The top end (main) is about the same as it was before the VF4's but i am still a bit insure about my pilot jet.  Seems like it is rich and i only went from 25's to 27.5's.  I currently have them just shy of 2 turns out but, just being inexperienced and new to this bike altogether, i am having a hard time diagnosing if I am lean or rich etc.  I almost feel like I need to go back to 25's with the new airbox.   The plugs are black as night after riding for a while.  One thing to consider is that I do some trail riding that is not ideal for a banshee at all.  Like going deep into the woods on old overgrown trails and, at some times, having to make our own trail whereas I am in and out on the clutch constantly and running between idle and 1/8th throttle so maybe it makes sense that my plugs turn black

I may not mess with it any more until I get my K&N pods from F.A.S.T. next week anyways.  I did what I could with the jetting last night/today so i could ride this weekend to test everything out since i replaced the clutch cable and perch/lever, swapped the throttle back to thumb, new grips, replaced the bent wheel and hub from my recent encounter with a tree and tightened up my suspension etc.   I'm happy with most everything but still having shifting issues (false neutrals, hard to find neutral when i want it but too easy to hit it when shifting 1-2 under power, even hard to get back down into first when down shifting).  I replaced the entire external shift mechanism, mostly with upgraded parts and it is perfect so, as much as i hate to say this, i am starting to think it may be something internal...  That may be a new thread to come soon!

UF, my understanding is the needle is 1/4 to 3/4, with some overlap on each end of course. I've read a ton on jetting lately - just never actually jetted anything so i'm certainly no expert.

I feel like the needle is perfect after moving it from the 4th position up to the middle to lean it out a bit. My power in the mid range is awesome. The top end (main) is about the same as it was before the VF4's but i am still a bit insure about my pilot jet. Seems like it is rich and i only went from 25's to 27.5's. I currently have them just shy of 2 turns out but, just being inexperienced and new to this bike altogether, i am having a hard time diagnosing if I am lean or rich etc. I almost feel like I need to go back to 25's with the new airbox. The plugs are black as night after riding for a while. One thing to consider is that I do some trail riding that is not ideal for a banshee at all. Like going deep into the woods on old overgrown trails and, at some times, having to make our own trail whereas I am in and out on the clutch constantly and running between idle and 1/8th throttle so maybe it makes sense that my plugs turn black

I may not mess with it any more until I get my K&N pods from F.A.S.T. next week anyways. I did what I could with the jetting last night/today so i could ride this weekend to test everything out since i replaced the clutch cable and perch/lever, swapped the throttle back to thumb, new grips, replaced the bent wheel and hub from my recent encounter with a tree and tightened up my suspension etc. I'm happy with most everything but still having shifting issues (false neutrals, hard to find neutral when i want it but too easy to hit it when shifting 1-2 under power, even hard to get back down into first when down shifting). I replaced the entire external shift mechanism, mostly with upgraded parts and it is perfect so, as much as i hate to say this, i am starting to think it may be something internal... That may be a new thread to come soon!

Tell me all your mods and the elevation of where you ride and also the average weather temperature there.

Elevation is ~800 feet and summer time temps here are between 75 - 90 degrees.  27.5 pilots, needle is in the 3rd (middle) position and mains are 280's.  The carbs are stock mikunis and the engine internals are bone stock with no port job etc, Toomey T5 pipes, Vforce 4 reeds, gigantic aluminum airbox w/oversized K&N (soon to be pods), Toomey racing radiator, Chariot water pump, Hinson clutch basket, Toomey clutch, pancake bearing,

I am unsure about timing.  I just know the previous owner used race fuel so i do too.  It's 110 but I do mix it with some ethanol free 90 that I buy for my daughter's quad and the mowers

I should stick to the factory plugs - BR8ES, right? I ended up with some B7ES at some point that I still have

Got my pods in today and installed them.   The 27.5 pilot feels good now (it was rich before with the air box), needle is still on the 3rd clip and feels good as well as well.  I was a little worried that I may be lean on the Main jet but the plug chop looks good, with one exception.  Both plugs have an odd black coloring on about 1/3 of the base of the ceramic.  They are irregular black lines that rise up slightly higher than the chocolate ring which circles the other 2/3 of the base of the ceramic.  Hard to explain really.  I am trying to upload pics but it tells me "You have exceeded your allotted disk space for attachments"....   

Mods - Can i delete past pics I've posted to gain more "disk space' or what?

Also, I didn't think to keep track of which plug came out of the right and left cylinders but, if my carbs sync easily and stay synced, wouldn't that indicate that there are no air leaks that i have to worry about leaning out one cylinder or the other?

Not sure if i've done this imgur pix upload correctly.  I created an account and uploaded pics of the plug - the link is below.  One side looks good to me but what's up with the other side?  Both plugs are this way

http://lowidenfast.imgur.com/all/