Keeping the Banshee cool

WantABanshee

I just bought a bike and am rebuilding it.. I ride all trails and was wondering what you guys did to keep your banshee from overheating??

I will be rebuilding it w stock internals and stock headed

Thanks

I was going to say a coolhead and engine ice for coolant but then i read the rest of your post. so scratch the coolhead. I run in really hot weather in the summer and i think engine ice works great!

Cycle Logic Engine Ice Coolant

you could put in an aftermarket impellar... it does help somewhat and is added insurance against nylon impellar fins braking off and you not know it...

There is not much you can do other than what others have posted above,but Here a neat little trick that will benefit even stock banshees

between the radiator and shrouds,there is a significant gap on both sides,the banshee radiator shroud is a great air catcher,but these gaps will divert more air around the radiator than it should. My solution is to take an old stock radiator grille.You can cut out the bigger fins along with the mesh and position them to divert incoming air into the radiator,not around it.The screws that actually hold the stock grill in can actually be used to mount the air deflectors.

I can't explain it but if you look between the shroud and the radiator itself,there is a significant gap.I saw someone using a 1 inch thick foam tape to seal the area around it,but the foam acts like an insulator IMO.If you can fab up something that will redirect better into the radiator it will only benefit the cooling.

• 3 months later...

Another little trick that I plan on doing when I finally stop riding the shee is to use aircraft stripper to strip the black paint off the radiator and maybe polish it for looks but stripping it and shrouding it should definitely help lower temps.

Another little trick that I plan on doing when I finally stop riding the shee is to use aircraft stripper to strip the black paint off the radiator and maybe polish it for looks but stripping it and shrouding it should definitely help lower temps.

The black paint on the rad helps dissipate heat. Stripping the paint will make your rad less efficient and your motor run hotter. Polished rads look cool on drag bikes, but they only run for seconds at a time. Regular bikes have to stay cool for hours when riding.

If your motor is jetted correctly you will not overheat as long as you keep moving. Putting in a billet impeller is a good idea though.

I run some hairy trails in the mountains and woods and have never overheated.