Lock Out/Lock-Up Tuning

SlowerThanYou

Here's another example of a member on BHQ using clutch tuning. The clutch didn't contribute to all of the gains, but it still played an important factor. The 60' would be better, but the member has a 2-5 trans & is manually shifting the 1-2 shift.

Can a gearing change be done to make a 2nd gear launch appropriate while still carrying enough MPH? Maybe primaries? Probably find a balance between a touch of gearing and some more slip and bang it out of the hole harder to make up for a little less mph. I know it's not your set up, just wondered. I know the asphalt is aggressive!

Also, is there any way I can nudge some fellas to give a little detail on cooling? I've got a few ideas, i just don't wanna go butchering my parts if it's nonsense and not gonna make a difference. You can be vague. Just wanna know if my hamster is on the right wheel. Or you can tell me to fuck off. Either way this thread could use a little action. Just trying to get fellas pondering.

• Like 1

Can a gearing change be done to make a 2nd gear launch appropriate while still carrying enough MPH? Maybe primaries? Probably find a balance between a touch of gearing and some more slip and bang it out of the hole harder to make up for a little less mph. I know it's not your set up, just wondered. I know the asphalt is aggressive!

As far as I know everyone is using a 1st gear launch for asphalt. I like to keep an open mind that a 2nd gear launch could be accomplished, but IMO. The rider & quad would have to be very light, billet 2nd gear & lots of clutch slip; for it to work correctly.

As for the sand we have a 1-5 for the DMX so we can test both 1st & 2nd gear launches. We couldn't do that with a 1-4, we could of tested it, but not raced it like we wanted to. 

Also, is there any way I can nudge some fellas to give a little detail on cooling? I've got a few ideas, i just don't wanna go butchering my parts if it's nonsense and not gonna make a difference. You can be vague. Just wanna know if my hamster is on the right wheel. Or you can tell me to fuck off. Either way this thread could use a little action. Just trying to get fellas pondering.

I know we have discussed this for your application. Your situation is different than drag racing. You have to find a way of directing oil onto/into your clutch pack while racing. It could be done, but at what expense & maybe you need to do that.

This is just me thinking out loud. Pull oil from the bottom of transmission case to a pump. Then thru a oil cooler & inject back into the clutch, but then you would also have to inject it on the transmission. The best place would inject it into the center of the clutch pack & let the centrifugal force do the work getting the oil thru the clutch pack. 

Now here's a trick for the drag guys/girls. In between round of racing when not tuning on the clutch. Simply tip your quad from the stator side, putting you clutch side lower than the stator side. This will help cool the clutch & saturate it with a oil bath. I would post a pic, but can't say I have ever taken one while doing that.

As for this thread needing action. I've asked for other's inputs on the subject. There has maybe been 5 step up to the plate & appreciated their inputs/feedback. You can make the thread what you want, but the balls in reader's/user's court.

I know we have discussed this for your application. Your situation is different than drag racing. You have to find a way of directing oil onto/into your clutch pack while racing. It could be done, but at what expense & maybe you need to do that.

This is just me thinking out loud. Pull oil from the bottom of transmission case to a pump. Then thru a oil cooler & inject back into the clutch, but then you would also have to inject it on the transmission. The best place would inject it into the center of the clutch pack & let the centrifugal force do the work getting the oil thru the clutch pack.

I've got one of these http://www.rbracing-rsr.com/oilsystems.htm sitting on the bench and an old mini cooler. Just gotta motivate and get some line and --AN fittings. I had that in the my head, just hoped I would have some epiphany and figure out another solution but You're right. Time to bite the bullet and get a cooler on it.

I've got one of these http://www.rbracing-rsr.com/oilsystems.htm sitting on the bench and an old mini cooler. Just gotta motivate and get some line and --AN fittings. I had that in the my head, just hoped I would have some epiphany and figure out another solution but You're right. Time to bite the bullet and get a cooler on it.

I think that's the way to do it, but lubing the trans is my concern with the set-up. You could also throw in a screen type filter.

I bet if you look back through some of the pics you will pick up on some of the stuff that I've noticed. More than once I have surprised Bryan with questions on things he has posted on accident.

I bet if you look back through some of the pics you will pick up on some of the stuff that I've noticed. More than once I have surprised Bryan with questions on things he has posted on accident.

Ya. I've spoke with Bryan and he gets ya thinkin with out patting your ass all the way there.

Thanks for the kind words or finding stuff I didn't mean to give away guys. My full intention on most things I post is to try & get people to think or try things on their own. Basically, I try & point member's in the right direction & let your own smarts take over. To me that's the best way to learn whether it's right or wrong.

• Like 1

Thanks for the kind words or finding stuff I didn't mean to give away guys. My full intention on most things I post is to try & get people to think or try things on their own. Basically, I try & point member's in the right direction & let your own smarts take over. To me that's the best way to learn whether it's right or wrong.

I think I'm slowly figuring some of it out.

• 2 months later...

BUMPITY BUMP. Get this topic going again! I enjoy the info.

BUMPITY BUMP. Get this topic going again! I enjoy the info.

LOL! I explained how to get this topic going again...........!  It's up to the member's/reader's. Phunt was a good example, but it doesn't have to be all good results. I have learned plenty from bad results/clutch tune-ups.

LOL! I explained how to get this topic going again...........!  It's up to the member's/reader's. Phunt was a good example, but it doesn't have to be all good results. I have learned plenty from bad results/clutch tune-ups.

Unfortanately I only made it to the track once this year. With my full time job change it kinda slowed me down some. Hopefully someone will post up some questions, info, results good or bad from the season to jump start this again. Maybe that will get my wheels turning again too.