2001 chevy 2500 hd gas mileage 6.0

I have a 2001 2500 hd 4x4 chevy extra cab shortbox w/6.0 liter engine, and recently started to figure out my mileage, first time I got about 11.7 MPG, the next tank I took it easy drove like a little old lady and got 10.8 mpg, and tonight after really driving slow everywhere for a week filled up and figured out 10.8 again...anyone else have this same truck/ or close and getting better mileage? it's all stock , no lift kit or anything, I think it's time for headers and a cold air intake set? maybe help out? anyone make these mods and see a noticeable difference. I know my truck probably does better on the highway, but mostly I drive in town or tow to the desert so empty highway mileage is irrelevant.

I want to be able to pull a 40 foot gooseneck trailer and get 40 mpg...any ideas?

Got a buddy who has had 4 of them and they ALL get only around 12-13 tops !!! :( Nothing you add on to that motor will help your mileage much except maybe a supercharger. If you want better mileage and want to pull might want to get a Duramax or other Diesel. Mine gets around 19-20 on trips and 16-18 around town . It also has run the 1/4 in 14.14 at 94mph , now that is some fun!!!! :D

I had a 2002 K2500 (non-HD) with 3" body lift, 33" all-terrains, 6.0L, auto, shortbed, extended cab.....

I usually got 10-11 mpg just running around. Up to 14-15 mpg on the highway empty if I took it easy. 10 mpg towing an open trailer that weighed approximately 5000 lbs to Dumont and back.

Don't spend a lot of money on bolt on parts. You won't get the money back in fuel savings for a very, very long time, if ever.

If you are really worried about fuel mileage, buy a diesel. I did. My 2005 F250 gets 16 mpg running around and up to 19 mpg on the highway.

Might try a computer burn from any good dealer. www.fullsizechevy.com has several good companies listed. the 6.0 and 8.1 are notorious for less than spectacular fuel mileage. Both the Duramax and Powerstroke get fairly good. Before my dad got the flip switch programmer for his powerstroke pulling our enclosed with 2 quads and gear, I ran about 80 home and we were still averaging around 14 mpg. No trailer he should be closer to 20 mpg with the computer adjustments. Will know for sure this week its his first full tank since the switch was installed.

I have a 2001 2500 hd 4x4 chevy extra cab shortbox w/6.0 liter engine, and recently started to figure out my mileage, first time I got about 11.7 MPG, the next tank I took it easy drove like a little old lady and got 10.8 mpg, and tonight after really driving slow everywhere for a week filled up and figured out 10.8 again...anyone else have this same truck/ or close and getting better mileage?  it's all stock , no lift kit or anything, I think it's time for headers and a cold air intake set? maybe help out? anyone make these mods and see a noticeable difference. I know my truck probably does better on the highway, but  mostly I drive in town or tow to the desert so empty highway mileage is irrelevant.

I want to be able to pull a 40 foot gooseneck trailer and get 40 mpg...any ideas?

415235[/snapback]

Id say your doin good.

Ive got a 98 Yukon with 5.7 liter, and im gettin 12 miles/gallon on the highway.

I got 16 mpg in my lightning a couple weekends ago on a mountain Hwy with my foot smashing the peddel like a mofo. Must have past about 50 cars at WOT there and back, probably averaged 70 mph, but ran her up to 130 once on a straght section. I couldn't believe it still got 16mpg, go figure. Usually its between 14 to 16 hwy, buts its just a reg cab F150. The best is 17mpg hwy in the winter, windows up, AC off, same with my regular F-150 work truck.

A friend of mine has a dodge crew cab 1/2 ton with a Hemi :yank: and gets about 13mpg highway. My uncle's 2003 chevy 1/2 ton pu ext cab 4x4 with the new v-8 (5.3L I think) that replaced the ol' 5.7L/350ci, got 18 and 19 mpg when I borrowed it for a road trip, in the winter A/C off windows up. In my experience, the small Chevy v-8's usually get the best mpg out of any truck v-8 motors.

My buddy gets about 14mpg in his, its power programmed with a 40 series flowmaster. I guess the 8.1's can get the same gas mileage as the 6.0. Hace you heard of the gear bender?? i guess you can get like 25 mpg with it. It adds a few gears to your tranny for a few grand. Worth the investment with gas prices....

My 2 cents...

In my 94 2wd 1500 with a 350, im gettin about 21 mpg on the highway. and like 19 in the city, i cant believe it.

Edited by 87sheerips

Got an 02 3/4 ton ex-cab shortbed 4x4 all stock with the 6.0. Unloaded on highway it gets 15 average and pulling our #8000lb fifthwheel plus the bikes and what ever else it gets 9-10 highway pulling to riding area. This is usually doing 60-65mph.

Dad has a 2001 Chevy 2500HD 8.1L LT Whipple Supercharger K&N Airfilter and flowmaster exhaust sittin in the garage with 15 thousand miles on it .. get about 11 mpg tops.. :headbang: Also have a 1999 Chevy 2500 6.0L Ext. Cab gettin about 15 mpg, all stock.. And the 1985 Chevy K20 5.0L is gettin about 8 mpg .. and dont forget the gmc with the little v6 in it gettin about 22 mpg.. GM is all the family drives.. B)

Eric :cheers:

yamaha-banshee-96-bikepics-367715.jpg

i have a 99 yukon 3inch body lift with 33inch bfgs jba headers no mufflers b&m shift kit a k&n air filter it has a vortex 5.7 i get around 8-10 mpgs. :flush: when i pull the quads i get about 6-7 mpg it hurts the pocket but i look at it as u have to pay to play plus it looks cool

Edited by 2strokesmoke