taper bore carbs?

is there an advantage to taper boring carbs versus straight boring? i was thinking with taper boring, you would increase the velocity of the air...right? just like the venturis on the stock carbs. they start big and then taper down to 26mm. shouldn't it speed up the air travel if i taper the bore 2 mm? start at 28mm on the intake side and taper it down to 26mm on the engine side? or should i just bore it to 27.5mm-28mm? looking for a cheap alternative to more power for now, until i can afford the 28mm flatslide tm's.

is there an advantage to taper boring carbs versus straight boring? i was thinking with taper boring, you would increase the velocity of the air...right? just like the venturis on the stock carbs. they start big and then taper down to 26mm. shouldn't it speed up the air travel if i taper the bore 2 mm? start at 28mm on the intake side and taper it down to 26mm on the engine side? or should i just bore it to 27.5mm-28mm? looking for a cheap alternative to more power for now, until i can afford the 28mm flatslide tm's.

We feel the taper bore was a fad and that is about it. The reason mostly for the venturi on the back of the carb is not for velocity, but for pressure drop that allows a low pressure cell over the jets to allow better fuel flow.

Brandon

We feel the taper bore was a fad and that is about it. The reason mostly for the venturi on the back of the carb is not for velocity, but for pressure drop that allows a low pressure cell over the jets to allow better fuel flow.

Brandon

Correct me if I'm wrong but wasn't the whole tapered bore more of a 4 stroke thing?

Correct me if I'm wrong but wasn't the whole tapered bore more of a 4 stroke thing?

LRD was doing it with a PWK 28mm tapered to 30mm. They do not perform any better than a 29mm carb. Simply that even with an increase in velocity after the carb, the air charge will still hit a brick wall (the reeds) and null any effects.

Brandon

Taper bored or not, I wouldn't recommend going any larger than 27.5mm through the venturi...you will cut into the slide bore if you go larger.

agree.i had a junk carb laying around and triied to go larger then that.27.5 is the max. to be safe

agree.i had a junk carb laying around and triied to go larger then that.27.5 is the max. to be safe

do you guys know any preffered place where i can get my carbs bored to 27.5 for a decent price? and do i still keep the slides the same or do those go bigger as well? thanks

Your slides will stay the same, I recommend Lynn at LCPerformance (www.lcperformance.com) I think he charges @ $50 a set for the straight and $90 a set for the taper bore and shaving the intakes to match.

shaving the intakes to match? what do you mean? can you elaborate on this for me please? i never heard of this.

In your intake manifolds there is a lip that seats against the carb, when you get a taper bore the I.D. of the carb is larger than the I.D. of the intake so he shaves the lip down to match the carb bore.