Gas To Alcohol ?

Im thinking about runing alcohol in my banshee and i was woundering what all i would have to change in my carb to run it? And would this mbe a bad thing to do? <_< And if i did this would i mix the alcohol the same way i mix gas Im useing klots racing oil right now and i says that i can use it with alcohol. Please Help

"Thanks"

I know if you're gonna run alcohol you will have to change things around. Not sure what's involved in banshee carbs(not much experience).

Gas has an air fuel ratio of about 14.6:1 where methanol is about 6.5:1 and ethanol 9.0:1. This means jetting will change significantly and you will be burning a lot more fuel when compared to gas and more power.

Not sure about mixing oil, best bet would look up the manufacture's reccomendations.

I have noticed a few places that sell carbs converted and ready to go ;)

I HAVE A SET OF ALKY CARBS FOR SELL,

YOU WILL NEED TO GET BIGGER CARBS, THE STOCK CARB FLOAT BOWLS ARE TOO SMALL, YOU WILL DRAIN THE BOWLS WAY TO FAST, YOU NEED TO GET A PINGEL FUEL PETCOCK, OR A FUEL PUMP. ALKY LOVES COMRESSION A GOOD ALKY MOTOR SHOULD HAVE AROUND 190-210 FOR COMRESSION. ALKY ALSO LOVES TIMING, I RUN MINE ADVANCED 12 DEGRES. YOU ALSO MIX IT A LITTLE DIFFERNTLY, AND SOME PEOPLE USE DIFFERNT PLUGS, I DONT BUT SOME DO.

I HAVE SOME 36MM MIKUNIS THAT ARE SET UP FOR ALKY FOR SELL PM ILL GIVE YOU ALL THE INFO YOU NEED

With your mods your motor will run great on alky with stock carbs. I know a guy with a 8mm stroker 70mm bore motor that runs stock carbs with no problem! I do not run a pingle and I have a 85+ HP motor on alky. I am building a 4mm stroker 68mm bore motor and do not plan on running a pingle. I just took out the strainers on the top of the stock petcock. My motor makes 85+ hp on a brake dyno and I have 125lbs. of compression. I have tried more compression but the motor runs best where it is. That includes times on a track. I also only run 7 degrees advanced timing. There are a lot of misconceptions about alcohol. Basically you need to get a baseline then start documenting changes along the way. You can spend a lot of money only to find out what you already have went faster.

alcoholbanshee are you saying stock carbs w/existing jetting? I've run alcohol for years. My experience has been you start about 1/3 larger on the jetting and run 34-to 35's at least. With more fuel, comes more air. FTZ recommended larger for higher horse motors. I've never ran a pingle either, just did the same mod as you w/the existing petcock.

The petcock is what you use to turn the gas on and off. You will need a 1-60 drill bit set. Drill your dump tube in the carb(the thing the needle goes thru) to .125 . Then drill your main jet to some where around .100 to start. You will probably be able to leave your pilot alone. Then just run your bike and check out the plugs. If you are to lean or rich just drill your next set of main jets larger or smaller. You will go thru a lot of jets to get it right but you can do this. I bought my mains off Ebay. Do a search for "Mikuni" you will find them. The ones I bought were like $10.00 for 50 mains. Buy small mains like 300 or so, they are small enough to drill out.You will also need to have your needle clip in the 4th or 5th position. You will also need to advance your timing a 4 degree key will work but you will just end up buying a adj. stator plate later, so you might as well buy it now. One other mistake I have seen people make is..... make sure you put the tee on your fuel line in the right direction. Put it so your inlet goes in the center and you carb lines go out the sides. Also route your lines to your carbs with no sharp bends or kink of any sort. This thing will drink a lot of fuel. And that fuel needs to be as unobstructed as possible.