EGT Sensor temps

mhoksch

I'm putting a KOSO EGT sensor on today. What is the optimal Egt temp? Where should I set my warning limits?

If it matters, my setup is 10mm cub, shearer sb inframes, 35pwk, vp110 40:1 amsoil dominator

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Check directions but I'm pretty sure they want it 4" or so from piston and don't just jet on egt temp . Jet by plugs like normal then check egt . Get a set distance layed out then check egt just as it gets into the traps, 1100 seems to be a good number

^^ This

Melting point of aluminum is around 1250F

^^ and this

But dont forget that no engine is the same. Mine go easy above 1200 without problem.

buddy i speak to that ice races ovals shoots for a 1300-1400 egt range.... 

his motor has gone a GOOD FEW seasons without needing any rebuilds... and has saved his motor a hand full of times using the EGT sensors....

yup, that is bugging me. My engine do that too and i dont understand how...

Alu melt at about 1250, i guess that the egt can be higher at the end of the exhaust vs the chamber???

I would like to have some explaination about that.

because you shouldnt be sitting at 1300 d if on gas for 100% of the time   egt can show problems starting before they result in catastrophic fail.  

when i first started on the drag motors i shoot for 1100 on alky  and can slow the bike some with less.  lets me know i have a smidge of  wiggle room if i need it.  those were 350-400+ ft runs.  i dont run one much anymore  but last time i did for other reasons i noticed the motor was off side to side at lower rpm's  i was able to make a needle change on that one side and even the temps out ( lectrons) 

yup, that is bugging me. My engine do that too and i dont understand how...

Alu melt at about 1250, i guess that the egt can be higher at the end of the exhaust vs the chamber???

I would like to have some explaination about that.

The piston it self is heated by the burn and then quenched by fresh incoming ail/fuel mix from above and below while the piston cycles, so it never gets to the temp that the actual burned gasses reach. So the pyrometer on the SGT sensor reads the explosion temp and not the piston temp. Could probably be worded better, but that's the gist of it.
  • Like 1

Raced today with the new egt setup.  It definitely helped with dialing in my jetting for the temp, but I also checked plugs quite often. 

I set my warning to come on at 1200f. My max temps during the races were around 1150f.  I'm pretty sure I was still jetted a bit rich, but I'd rather be safe at this point.  Plus I had no problem walking away from my class with the 10mm cub from Redline.