Triple Taper Needle for PWK 35

sixfiveyeti

I'm pretty stoked with my findings today fiddling with jetting. And thought I'd post. 

Stock Bore x Stroke, forged pistons (not sure if ported),

CoolHead with 22cc,

Trinity 2 into 1 Keihin PWK 35,

Airbox adapter and Pro Flow air filter spigot. Lid on (with snorkel removed) a few 1/4" holes drilled,

Fatty pipes and power cores out back.  

600ft above sea level  60 degrees F

48 Pilot (52 when in the 30's outside)

NFTH needle 3rd clip

170 main

1 1/2 turns out on the air screw.

So I had been happy running with this jetting with a straight taper DDK needle 3rd clip but noticed that no matter what clip I put the needle at, I wasn't satisfied with the 1/4 through 1/2 throttle range.  Mid range to top wasn't right either if I got the bottom close to where it needed to be.  I decided what the hell, Let me throw in one of these KX or KTM needles I have.  I thought for sure that I would feel bad spots in the throttle range but knew it had a slightly richer L1 area.

Surprisingly this needle is the best I've tried yet.  My power comes sooner in the rpm range and runs right out to the top without a hicup. Throttle response is super crisp and it's really brought my low mid power to life.  Top end still rips the same as always.

• Like 1

I haven't tried the EEK needle.  I will be ordering one soon enough.  I just happened to have the NFTH needle lying around from my 2005 KX250.  I believe the needle is allowing me to have the nice fat 0 to 1/2 throttle while staying on the smaller side for main jets.  This is my first Banshee and I just put it together from about 3 storage totes a few weeks ago.  Guy I bought it from tore it down bought the 2 into 1 and coolhead and never got back around to putting it together. 

• 3 weeks later...