Long Travel newbie

JasonB

you guys need stickies around this forum! seriously i got a bunch of dumbass questions coming up with my first Banshee purchase this month lol. I have a few Banshee's im looking at around the 2K price range with titles in decent shape but they are all on stock suspension. I want a nice suspension set up and have about 1K to spend after the bike cost which i project will be about 2K. my budget is about 3K total for bike and new suspension depending on what i find and want. I dont MX i just want a cushy ride for dunes and occasional trail riding. Im not spending 3 or 4K on suspension just want to put that out there! 

So the Elka stage 3 front and rear shocks with long travel linkage, is that something that would utilize the stock swingarm and give me the kind of rear end that will soak up whoops and rough dunes? I am looking at new a arm set ups but im totally new to suspension and arm set ups on quads. is there a resource or something around here for this info?  I was hoping for a long travel set up that will allow me to ride like an idiot across most terrain 

you guys hate Alba arms right? 

http://www.ebay.com/itm/ELKA-STAGE-3-SHOCKS-ALBA-ATV-LONG-OR-STANDARD-TRAVEL-A-ARMS-YAMAHA-BANSHEE-/131587902129?hash=item1ea3400ab1:g:S7kAAOSwgQ9V25~x&vxp=mtr

thats junk right?? 

Heres the elka stage 3 with long travel link im talking about. that utilizes the stock swinger right? 

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Yamaha-Banshee-350-Elka-Stage-3-Rear-Shock-Long-Travel-Linkage-/140618565366?fits=Model%3ABanshee+350&hash=item20bd8506f6:m:mHQyOYoACiFHHZCLokGUXOw&vxp=mtr

i may have found a set of complete stage 3 Elka front and rear shocks with the long travel rear linkage locally for a good price, but i dont know shit about this subject. I would just need a arms/ball joints/tie rods if i bought those shocks and linkage right? 

Sorry for the dumbass questions guys, thanks for any input on this matter. Im stoked to buy my first banshee and i really want a suspension that make ripping the dunes more enjoyable! I'm 33 years old with a 70 years old knees hahaha

Edited by JasonB

The Elkas will do just fine and then some. But for what you said your budget and intent for the bike, I'd say you might as well skip LT and just find some nice +2 A arms. Nice LT shocks are gonna be about a grand. Maybe less if you find nice used ones. But if that deal you have on Elkas is legit, grab them up.

don't waste money on LT linkage and shock, just get alba a-arms, LT for like $390 for JDS. Elka stage 3 shocks are like $950ish from atv galaxy.

done.

That's just front end stuff right? After reading rear shock reviews I feel brainwashed on the idea that the factory rear shock is junk. Amirite

That's just front end stuff right? After reading rear shock reviews I feel brainwashed on the idea that the factory rear shock is junk. Amirite

Leave the rear alone for now, worry about rebuilding it down the road unless it really needs it. The stock fronts are in serious need of an upgrade. Elkas work just fine for the weekend warrior.