Cylinder crack?

BlasterKX

last year i did a dumb dumb move and tried to run the rest of the gas out of my shee before i put it up for the year... well long story short after i ran it out on the left side it broke a rod which the rod hit the bottom of the cylinder and cracked it. anyone ever had this issue?  i just wanna know if i should get it bored and resleeved.. i wanna try and save these cylinders due to the porting thats been done and they are still a farily fresh bore. i cant seem to load up pics due to them being to big

last year i did a dumb dumb move and tried to run the rest of the gas out of my shee before i put it up for the year... well long story short after i ran it out on the left side it broke a rod which the rod hit the bottom of the cylinder and cracked it. anyone ever had this issue? i just wanna know if i should get it bored and resleeved.. i wanna try and save these cylinders due to the porting thats been done and they are still a farily fresh bore. i cant seem to load up pics due to them being to big

Try tapatalk, or photbucket. You let your bowls run dry? What brand of crank?

sent from yo mammy house.

I was ripping on it pretty good so it ran lean when it ran out of fuel. I don't have a dual fuel valve setup so I still have the t in my fuel line which the right side has about twice the amount of fuel line so it will get fuel a little longer then the short side which is the left. And as far as the crank it was a stock one.

Edited by BlasterKX

Post pics. Its never a good idea to run a ported set up on a stock crank without it being trued, and welded.

Did you do a leakdown test before tearing it apart? Was your jetting close, and safe?

sent from yo mammy house.

I have fusion welded areas like that before with great success, there's no guarantee it will last forever, I keep in contact with one of them and it's 3 yrs with no problems. The other two I figure no news is good news. While it's not an ideal fix its an option as long as you know the reprocutions

fusion welding is simply using a tig torch with no filler. it melts both sides of the crack together. that method may work fine. ive also read you can use aluminum bronze filler. for that method you would V the crack. a competant welding shop should be able to fix it no problem. the problem you might have is the heat slightly distorting the bore. a hone job or boring to the next size up may or may not be necesarry