Running Rich & poor after 2 hour ride (had shop rebuild)

Oldskool83

Recently this year I bought a 98 banshee since I have always wanted once. Had receipts of a top end rebuild so I figured it was done right.

Got it home ripped bike to the frame redid it.  Found many issues but expected that from a $1800 banshee. Inspected the top end found 80 over cylinders with fresh deep wear lines on side where someone reused old wrist pins...they backed out and ate up cylinders YAY rebuild a rebuilt motor.

Lots of money later and due to moving (build a new home) I ran the completed banshee up the road to a MX race shop. I had no place to work on it at this point so rather then wait 5 months figured lets get it done right the 1st time. 

I removed all the torrs stuff.  I removed all the torrs wiring also, also removed all head lights, no switch key stuff...basically I stripped the wiring harness down to like a 2 stroke dirt bike, just kick it and go.  I followed the wiring diagram I found on this site and crimped all wires also.

OK so after all of this shop said stator was giving random spark.  Got a new one, fixed issues.  They jetted the bike to my light mods.

Full FMF fatty pipe repacked

Stock Bore

Rebuild carb

Stock reeds (I think but kind of looks like Boysens)

Pro Design billet foam air filter assembly, oiled the filter with maxima oil (I ride coal hills so will never used K&N in this dust)

EHS open air box lid with screen and snorkel removed with EHS screen.

This is my 1st banshee not my 100th 2 stroke it seems.

I got it back from the shop ran good, fired up 2-3 kicks.  Loaded it up in the truck drove 30 miles home (since I moved)

Unloaded it went to ride...dead, no spark.  Kill switch shit the bed.  Removed that fired up ran good.

Yesterday I took it to the coal hills.

Fired it up 2nd kick with choke on, took it odd and slowly revved motor about 1/4 throttle until both pipes were warm, normally do this about 3 mins or so until I can feel heat thru my gloves.  Road a 1/2 mile lap to get it all warmed up and then went to play.

road 2 hours felt like it didn't have full blown top end power like it faded off after 3/4.

Chalked it up to  13T front sprocket (down a tooth from 14T (oem 41T rear) and heavy mud lite 20x11-9 tires.

Ate my sub, fired bike up started 1st kick and revved the motor...it went blaaaaaaaaaaaa and died.  Instantly thought well shouldn't of fouled plugs out.  Removed plugs...pretty black, blacker then normal milk chocolate brown I like to see the electrode. (it's 60 degrees mind you)

Put in a set of plugs I had new.  Fired up and went to ride after warmed up.  Went across the road over to some hills went to shift into 2nd to get into the power band and now its loosing powe wanting to die...running horrible.  Back down to 1st runs good, 2nd same issue, tried revving it to 3rd same stuff.

Back to truck, pull plugs...black fouled our about done. 

Didn't ride in any water after lunch, no settings moved from original marked positing's I placed on the carbs.

I am running 93 fuel with maxima premix oil @ 40:1  I do not know what jets the MX shop put in.  I guess I have to redo all their work but I know the needle is at the middle clip.

This is all I can provide at this time.  Hopefully this is jetting related.  This is not a beat banshee either...adult owned 32yo coal hill rider.

Thanks in advance sorry its long, figured you should have full story.

post-50476-0-69334600-1447687121.jpg

I had a receipt for an OEM $250 stator.  They refused to buy anything off eBay for their bikes.  I can not work on the bike until Saturday do to having no light in a shed or power since I am still not in my new home yet so I can post information after I rip into the carbs.

Thanks for the fast reply's. I was hoping this thing would have power like my YZ426f...I'm sort of let down at this point but it rides perfect for what I built it to do.

Edited by Oldskool83

Eastcostatv is a joke...I do not like them guys.  The shop I used JR's Cycle Shop in Ephrata.  The elevation change was not much if any.  The hills I go to are not high up in coal country.  I ride between Williamstown PA and Tremont PA and are at the bottom of the mountains vallys. 

The issue I wonder about more is why I ran lets say good for 2 hours then fire it up and it dies after revving...then seems to bog trying to get into power band.  I'd hope a reed didn't shit the bed also.  I ordered new plugs a 4 pack since my local autozone wanted $20 for 2....I'm not close to any ATV shops.

I only bought the banshee to climb hills my 1985 atc250r couldn't.  But a bunch of guys may of hyped them up for me to buy one not sure.  Never owned one before but its a comfortable bike.

Basically I have $6,000 into my bike and if a few simple tricks are not gonna help me I'd rather not pour too much more into it since the bike is 100% new from bolts to everything.  Getting burned on that receipt of bad of topend rebuild didn't help my cause

Was not sure what to expect out of the banshee but this one is not scaring me as most guys have told me.  I may be spoiled by my YZ426f but I still like my 84 KX125 over that bike.  I like riding in the power band for 2 strokes.

As I said I rebuild it from the ground up, so anything messed up got thrown out or sold off.  I bought a titled frame and swaped everything over also.  has shocks rebuild, all new brake stuff, anti vibe stems bars, axle wheels tires swinger..the works.  I wanted it build for what I did the right why the 1st time.

Please do not flame the cost I have in the bike.  I just am looking for help on why its not running properly.  I build most of my bikes to keep so they are ground up redo's

Thanks for any help.

post-50476-0-00496300-1447695354.jpg

Edited by Oldskool83

Once I am back close to the bike I can tell what jets are in it.  I noticed the shop didn't write down on my receipt what they put in it. The bike is in a shed right now and I am 30 miles from it.  I can try to get those jet sizes tonight perhaps.

Plugs are NKG BR8EG

Pilot Jet (TBD)

Main Jet (TBD)

Exhaust full FMF fatty

Open air box lid with foam filter and no snorkel.

No reed spacers or boost bottle.

FMF states 30 pilot and 260 main for the mods I have.  I'll let you guys know in a few days, hopefully tonight or tomorrow.  Not having my garage due to renting while house in being built really hurts garage time.  Gave as much info as I can right now.

Thanks.

That's the before picture right?

Black and red was the project bike.  Blue and white is the result after I fixed it up.

OK guys here are the jetting specs.

25 pilot

310 main

AF screw 1.5 turns out from seated position

BR8EG plugs

FMF full fatty exhaust

open air box lid EHS screened and prodesign foam filter

No reed spacers or boost bottle

Anyone seem something not right?  my pilot should be larger and my main should be lower. Per FMF jetting specs.

This shop hosed me...and today I find out when i went back to tell them about the issue they are going out of buz by thanks giving...wow total crap.

Thanks in advance.  

If you continue to have problems I'm probably 2 hrs from you , I trouble shoot/ tune/port/build these engines on the regular. Most shops have zero clue how to tune a shee . If I had to put money on it , you have some sort of air leak and electrical issues. Places like that keep my benches full