looking for info on dodge transfer cases

dirtmunkee

Cracked a transfer 1997 with 318. Case without looking i believe is the 216d if i recall. Was always fine until i got near 70mph and would get a bad vibration from it. Would kinda rumble. So kept it below that point but before i could get it figured out i guess i got it a bit to close and boom.. cracked across bottom. Made it home and drove fine at anything under about 40. Above that damn near shake the truck apart. Fyi had original case a year or so before do same thing out of the blue with no warning but a few seconds of vibration. (Had low miles. truck bought from longtime friend owned since new and mantained but always carried alot of weight.) So put this case in from yard that was suppose to have about 70k on it but...who knows. Was fine at whatever speed for awhile then....^^ read possible case pressure problem(that theres some correction for), tweaked shaft, tcase chain slop? Would like to get something bulletproof and understand that there are some older jeep cases that will bolt up. Ideas?... thanks in advance.

Lifted or stock height? I would be looking at ujoints/driveline balance/phasing or angle issues first for speed related vibrations.

its all stock truck. U joints were new not long before first case cracked. Had busted one and wonder if it had slightly tweaked shaft. How would you go about checking that its true and balanced. Assume a shop may have equipment to set it up in to check it out. Couldnt be much off always ran smooth as a caddilac until you hit that 70 mark to produce the vibration. Like it was either smooth or bad instantly at just the right rpm. Wouldnt slowly get worse. Was like a switch either on or not.

• 3 weeks later...