St Anthony's Idaho questions

03shee775

Heading up there next weeknd for the first time and looking for some info from those in the know... It looks like the plan is to camp at the idaho dunes RV. Is there anywhere closer to the big dunes or somewhere better to camp? Not looking for hookups or anything, just out in the sand. I read the rules and they didn't address 2 up riding. Is this allowed, discouraged etc? Will need 15 gallons of race gas, is it better to get it there or bring from home? Any additional info or tips are appreciated. Sand mountain NV is our home base. Go to Glamis and pismo every year but this is the first time to idaho

Egen Lake camp ground is the closest official camp ground to the big dunes. It is west of Idaho Dunes RV camp ground approximately a mile +/-

It's a bit of a hike from Egen Lake to the best of the big dunes, Devils, Choke Cherry, ect. If you have a fuel guzzler you will need to pack extra fuel to make the ride too and from and have enough fuel to play on the big hills.

The big dunes there are an absolute blast to play on!!

Someone local will have to chime in on weather sand camping is allowed and on a source for race gas and riding double.

Good times to be had up there but no camping out in sand. got three choices egen which is first come first serve so youll be sol there idaho dunes rv. is your best bet and where all th action is going on for the invasion but gotta reserve a spot all thats left is some dry camp spots with no hook ups or theres sand hills lil more classy but as far from the big dunes as you possible can get. ill be rolling in mid thursday idahodunesrv.com

• 10 months later...

Been thinking of checking out SA but really don`t feel like towing the toy hauler all the way there from Ca. Anybody know if there are trailer rentals on site out there? If so, I`d consider towing my jeep and putting on the sand tires on arrival.

• 7 months later...

How are April conditions? We had a lot of snow this year, any way it could still be there in a month?

Also, is the sand worse at that time? I hate the heavy garbage that swallows front tires on the Oregon Coast before it diess out. Could it be that bad at St A?

Appreciate the insight

How are April conditions? We had a lot of snow this year, any way it could still be there in a month?

Also, is the sand worse at that time? I hate the heavy garbage that swallows front tires on the Oregon Coast before it diess out. Could it be that bad at St A?

Appreciate the insight

The main section of the dunes, west of Egin Lakes, opens for riding on April 1. Early April the sand is sketchy. The south slopes may have some dry sand, but the north slopes can still have snow and ice. Sand sometimes covers the snow and ice. Dangerous. By late April conditions are better. The campground at Egin Lakes opens around late April. Best sand is from May through September.

• Like 1

Appreciate the insight

Also, there are two Facebook pages you can post on if you have other questions or are looking for someone to ride with when you get here. St. Anthony Duners: Home of the Locals and St. Anthony Sand Dunes.

• Like 1

How big are these dunes compared to the others?

"Steep and deep" is how I describe them to people. Some of the bigger bowls can easily hold a large football stadium. I've never ridden at any other dunes, so I can't make a comparison. But I can tell you they're big and a blast to ride. From what I hear from guys who have ridden at other dunes they're some of the biggest in the country. The larger ones at the west end are almost 400 feet high according to the literature on the dunes. Edited by Time Machine
  • Like 2