Alky Plug Read

B22

hi, wanted you guys to take a look at these plugs...ran about 3-4 runs on it and pulled...is there even enough time on them to tell?

4fd0042f6e22dde37bd02b9bf13925ea.jpgd374e2a5d462bfe53a5aef3275e6d7f3.jpg

5384b0592a8d6d6f369ba0d8e5a9af05.jpg

First is both side by side trying to show the heat strap (even though I see nothing) and the 2nd and 3rd are the the left and right electrodes respectively.

I'm a little aware of how to read alky plugs but I see nothing to read here, should I get more runs on them and re check them?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm a little anxious at the fact that most people take 3-4 hard runs and check them...but I can't tell anything!!

Stock 350 drag port 40mm lectrons one pj on each, running alky mixed 28:1 with 927

Reason I ask is because it doesn't want to rev all the way and under load it doesn't really wake up till around 4th gear where I assume it's cleared up...only to return shortly thereafter. After a decent run it revs out like it should as well.

They are gapped at .020...the lowest my spark gapper goes...and no, I can rev all I want prior to the run and it doesn't really help at all. It won't rev like it should until I get done with a run, then it revs good for maybe 20-30 seconds

Edited by B22
  • Like 1

Read plug. It will tell you how far you can go. If your having a hard time cleaning out the bike before pass, lean needle out a clip and try that. Bike has to rev clean at idle or your pass will be shit. Just dont get to greedy. Usually when the bike is pulling clean and hard, your in the ball park.

Awesome. Thanks. I think I'm gonna leave the needle alone for now and check the plugs again (just made about 6-7 more passes and it was noticeably better. Still loading a tad but I could almost completely clear it with revs.) Would 1000 ft higher elevation require a turn 1/2 closed on the pjs? I got the bike from a guy around sea level, whereas I'm at about 1,000 feet.

Edited by B22

Possible. All i can say is tune to what bike wants/needs. Get bike to pull clean and make a couple hard back to back passes and pull plugs. Adjust from there. Me personally, if im hot lapping the bike, i dont like to see the bottom plug ring with more then 1/2 color.

One thing with alky, when it's fat it will just wash the plug clean. Like Jmadd and special said, just ease in to the power jet till it starts to make color. Get a small magnifying glass of some sort or even a Jewlers scope to start watching the strap as well. Pay attention to the strap a lot more as you lean it up. It will tell you what it wants if you know what to look for. Check out some online drag racing forums like yellowbullet.com for tuning info on plugs.

Thanks guys for the help. I shut it down for the night after purging. Turning the powerjets closed 1 and 1/2 turns on each really seemed to help it. It seemed really fat to begin with, that little adjustment definitely livened it up a little.

I'm just a little skeptical and nervous as to fooling too much with it since it's all new to me! But it seems I'm in good hands on here.

When you talk about the needle, are you talking about the pilot screw? Not sure if that's the same thing, but I know it's set at 48.5.

I'm new to lectrons and alky actually, so any help is awesome. Thanks!