Banshee bogs bad but idles great!

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Pull both plugs out.

Make sure engine switch and fuel are off.

Hold throttle WFO and kick it until the needle stops.

For shits and giggles, I like to write down number of kicks and compression value.

Rinse and repeat.

Report back.

Also, did you happen to see the condition of the reeds?

You said they're VF3's correct?

Kinda odd someone would put VF3's on a very stock motor.

And I don't mean to sound like you don't know your way around a banshee, just trying to help, and hopefully other newbies can learn from this as well.

Don't let idle for long, may load up with fuel/foul plug plus no air mvement may overheat. Blip throttle to keep it cleaned out. Yes on O-rings in pipes, they need to seal well.

I used some PVC caps that fit in the boots. Installed with 3bond and clamps. Don't really need crossover.

Spooge coming out is from excess oil. May take a while to burn it out.

Stem trpr

I did see the Reeds and they do look good but I may haveissued something the first time around. And don't worry... I don't know my way around a banshee very well... mostly just tinkered with 4 strokes mostly.

Larry's shee

I knew I needed the orings... guess I'll hAve to find some. .. are they special or?? And do I just put some plugs in the crossover tube holes or do they make different ones?

Don't know how "special" the O-rings are, but would imagine they'd have to be high heat. Maybe someone has a size they can post. Maybe take the pipe with you to auto parts or such, and with knowing outside dia. of the exhaust you could find something. Ya, you could order some from FMF (or anybody) but might be fall before it clears costoms, and cost ya 10x as much.

As to the PVC caps, I just took a boot to the hardware store and found the best fitting piece I could. Was actually grey, might have been in the electrical conduit section. Leastwise here water lines are white and elec are grey. I should have cut them a bit for length for a cleaner look. I did this because the boost bottle was starting to crack the boots, not enough to need new, but still.

Update! Moved the left slide to the right carb and the right slide to the left carb and no more bog! I believe he had the slides in backwards.... the flat side of the slide is to the front now.... has TONNNSSS of power... now I know why they call it a banshee hahahah but I still have more smoke from the left pipe and a slight misfire on that side as well... I have a new head gasket coming so hopfully that cures it...

The other day a kid came to me with a peice of a pen used as a carb top adjuster because original broke off during a cleaning. He couldn't understand why It didn't run rite. Then I get into the carbs just for a look see and find the float held in by a cotter pin . Needless to say it runs good now with all the rite parts

Hey just had one more question,

Ive seen on other forums and such that you can take the coil wires out of the coil.. is that true? i have a spark tester i'm going to try tonight but the misfire doesnt seem to move when i switch wires from one to the other. What else could cause a random misfire? i did a leakdown test on the bottom end and it held 7 psi for 10 minutes so i dont think that is my problem.