18 dm alky help

Got an 18 dm with 39 pwks set up for alky. 122 dumps 120 mains 55 pilots shy needles 3rd clip. I have turned the pjs in about 3 turns from wide open. The bike seems to be rich, it blows brown alky from pipes. Also the plugs only show a slightly darkening color on the straps and no color change around the edges. Bike screams at wot from 2nd when I shift to 3rd it immediately bogs. My question is the bog from my pjs needing to be closed more due to drawing to much fuel? Cylinders fill pretty hot to the touch after 3 or 4 passes but plugs show hardly any heat.

Thanks

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Check on that needle type, might need diffrent needle to lean transition . Loco has an 18 dm and I'm sure redline can give you some insight in that area. You really need to make sure all your electronics are ohmed out and grounded correctly. You can chase your tail quite s bit

What are the pj's drilled to? If they have been opened up they can/will flow a pile of fuel.

Does the bike clean out good at the line, or do you have to ring it's neck to get it clean? 55 pilots should be close. I'd probably go with 60s. I'd also look to drill a new set of mains to 116/118 or so.

It Cleans out good at line. The PJs have been drilled out. Air Screws are out about 2 1/2 turns, idles. Iv'e got limited space to tune so 3rd gear is as far as I can run it before running out of room. 2nd gear take off is is good, once I shift to third and punch the throttle and it bogs. I have turned the pjs in about 3 turns from wide open. After turning them in sometimes it will hit powerband when shifted to third. I'm just trying to be safe with it. Plugs are wet and only showing a slightly darker gray color on the strap. I can touch cylinders for about two seconds due to heat. I can rack the throttle in nuetral and see the powerjets drawing fuel all the way up. Also have noticed excess fuel coming from exhaust flanges. When racking throttle, warm dark brown fuel and specs. I figure I have it close but better to be safe and ask.      thanks