Sold a banshee. New owner blew it up.

Tommygunn

If you sold a banshee that ran fine, the buyer said it ran damn good. Then one week later they call you and say it's running on one cylinder and there's a hole in one of the pistons. What would you think?  Engine had 66mm pistons, 19cc domes, drag port, 36mm carbs, +5 timing, and 100 octane with Amsoil dominator 2 stroke oil.  Checked compression before I sold it. Pulled both plugs, did a compression test and it came out to 195 lbs in each cylinder.

new owner says he never rode it.  I feel like i would have known if something wasn't right with it. I'm thinking he threw some 93 in it to go play in the snow and it went kaboom.

Edited by Tommygunn

That is super high compression especially for a guy who probably has no clue what he is doing. If he threw regular fuel in it then it was detonating like a mother and burned a hole in a piston! He bought a used bike ran good when he bought it now it is his problem. 

That is super high compression especially for a guy who probably has no clue what he is doing. If he threw regular fuel in it then it was detonating like a mother and burned a hole in a piston! He bought a used bike ran good when he bought it now it is his problem.

This. If he chose not to listen about it needing race fuel and wanted to be cheap it's his fault. If he ran weed whacker oil it's his fault. If he went out in the snow with out jetting it's his fault.

See where I'm going with this.

• Like 1

This. If he chose not to listen about it needing race fuel and wanted to be cheap it's his fault. If he ran weed whacker oil it's his fault. If he went out in the snow with out jetting it's his fault.

See where I'm going with this.

^ Exactley my thoughts. That's a pretty high strung motor. If you checked compression before selling, that meant there wasn't a hole in the piston when he bought it. Everything that happens after, well fuck him.

He wanted $250 dollars lol I told him " look, it ran good when you bought it and I did a compression test right before you bought it, what you've done to it between last week and now is on you"  He then said he hasn't rode it at all, I asked what the compression was he said "I don't know it had a hole"

Told him "well I've never rode a banshee with a hole in the piston but I would imagine it wouldn't run very good and read 195 on a psi test" He hung up.

Seems like we've all been there. I sold one like that. Told dude exactly what it would need when it got cold out and what fuel to run. Few months later he sends me a text of a piston with a hold burnt in it. Asks what causes that. I said prob pump gas and summer jetting in the winter. Bingo! He said he just wanted to take it for a quick rip and didn't wanna mess with all that stuff. I picked it back up in a trade deal month later for about a grand.

Seems like we've all been there. I sold one like that. Told dude exactly what it would need when it got cold out and what fuel to run. Few months later he sends me a text of a piston with a hold burnt in it. Asks what causes that. I said prob pump gas and summer jetting in the winter. Bingo! He said he just wanted to take it for a quick rip and didn't wanna mess with all that stuff. I picked it back up in a trade deal month later for about a grand.

Just a quick rip, what could it hurt? It was running so much better in the cold.

I'm guessing so. I traded that bike then with ported 4 mill stock cylinder setup and a buncha other crap straight across for an ltr that I really liked. Bought another banshee to build for a grand. Then dude calls me up. So I traded that stock banshee I just bought and I think another grand for my old banshee he just blew up and another bike he'd picked up with a buncha aftermarket crap on it. Parted the one, fixed my 4 mill and then had it an an ltr for a couple grand. Not a bad deal.

He was from Missouri. So I expected no less.