How to measure squish correctly

Seeing as there is no recent good topic on how to correctly measure squish I ran across some good pics and info out there and figured I would post it on here for those that may have questions in the future.

When setting up your solder make sure that the ends of the solder touch the cylinder wall on both sides directly above the wrist pins and that both ends are cut smooth.

These are examples of how your test solders should look.

ejuqehyv.jpg

sudupere.jpg

The reason for the small hump is to allow you to either pull the ends farther apart or push the ends closer together. This will allow you to get both ends of the solder to touch and rub on the cylinder wall.

The hump shape of the solder is to lay flat on top of the piston, also this will keep the solder from moving around and help keep it in place. It is also very important that the hump shape of the solder does not come in contact with the squish band area.

One last note before you go on to the actual Measuring Squish, make sure that the ends of the solder touch the cylinder wall on both sides and that both ends are cut smooth.

The test solder below were done improperly.

hezumebe.jpg

a4a7ure2.jpg

These are some examples of poorly done solder tests. You must keep the hump shape of the solder small enough, so it will not come in contact with the squish band. If this hump shape comes in contact with the squish band, it may rock the piston and may give an incorrect reading on the ends of the solder.

It is very important that the ends of the test solder are cut clean and blunt. This is a very critical area to be measured.

Now it's time to Measure Squish Band Clearance

The best and easiest way to do this is by using a piece of rosin-core or acid core-solder (Do not use a solid, core-less type of solder). You can buy the rosin or acid core solder from your local hardware store, auto parts stores or places like radio shack. The solder needs to be thick enough to smash slightly but not so thick as to bind the engine (after you do it a few times you will get the hang of it).

Places to get your test solder

.050" Rosin Core Solder = Radio Shack PN # 64-006 E

.062" Rosin Core Solder = Radio Shack PN # 64-002 E

.093" Rosin Core Solder = NAPA Auto Parts PN # 777-1862

.125" Acid Core Solder = NAPA Auto Parts PN # 777-1857

You need to remove the flywheel cover, this will allow you to turn the engine by hand. Next you will need to remove the head and save the old head gasket if it uses one (some engines do not use a head gasket, they use o-rings and the o-rings are not necessary for this test). You will then need to bend the solder into a hump shape shown in the pic’s above and replace the head torquing it to spec.

Now turn the flywheel by hand or use a wrench on the flywheel nut and rotate the motor so both cylinders pass TDC.

The solder needs to lay right across the center line of the wrist pin. Make sure the ends of the solder touch the bore of the cylinder on both sides. You can use a small dab of grease on the hump shape that should be laying flat on the top of the piston also, this help hold it into place.

DO NOT USE THE KICK STARTER TO ROTATE THE ENGINE, TURN THE FLYWHEEL BY HAND. Once both cylinders have passed TDC remove the head.

You will see where the solder was smashed and this is your current squish band clearance.

e9y6enyg.jpg

esavuryv.jpg

Another option is using molding clay or machinist wax but most all builders recommend the solder technique, again this was not my work simply some info I came across while searching the topic. Hope this will end up helping someone out!

• Like 3

Good write up. Never relized how inaccurate just sticking the solder through the spark plug hole was until i took the time to do it this way. This is the only way to get an acccurate result. I think i was measuring . 056ish the half ass way and .051ish laying the solder accross the whole piston. This was the difference of me needing differnet domes. I was also told to try to use solder the does not have the flux core.

Thanks guys like I said this is a compilation of info I found during some searches for machinist wax that trickedcarbine had told me about and know that I've never found a decent write up on here for this important step of engine assembly. I had to change some stuff since some of it didn't apply to measuring squish but I hope this helps people out in the future

• 1 year later...

Actually the orings do matter. You need to put them in.

Just curious, have you actually measured squish with and w/out o-rings in the head and were the results different?

Correct me if I'm wrong.

But, I'd imagine the o-ring in the groove of the dome allows the dome to actually seat and seal on the cylinders, metal to metal contact.

The primary function of that o-ring in that groove is to not allow combustion gases/pressures past the o-ring and lose compression.

Funny because I have done it with and with out the orings with no change in value... But if you want to measure with them on go ahead there is more than 1 way to do this. If an o-ring slips out of the groove while installing you would pinch an o-ring

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk