The best setup for running the 1/4 mile on a banshee OPINIONS!

Hazzard Racing Customs

I'm basing that on little to no asphalt experience. 1/8 mile is hard enough, but add another 660'. You had better have a big wallet & lots of patience!

Don't worry about the costs......Wes doesn't ride, he just buys, builds and sells.  ;)

:jesterlaugh:

Wow dude that's very awesome of you to share all that info with me man I really appreciate it but I'm not discouraged I'm about to join u and Tedder on this mission hope I can ask u guys some questions on the way

Thanks man

Wes

I'm not trying to discourage, just trying to give a realistic picture. I don't speak for Tedder, but I'm willing to share some basic info out in the open forum. If I had to do everything over again, I would probably start with our current basic chassis set-up & a 10mm Cub on race gas.

Just curious, what kind of mph are you turning to get your 9sec passes?

MPH is one of the problems with running quads in the quarter mile. Anywhere from 123 - 128 mph is what we see. The mph doesn't correlate like it does with a drag car. I'm pretty sure it has to do with shitty aerodynamics. Our slowest drag car ran numerous 10.06s @ 133-134 mph with a best 60' of 1.40. For the quad to run a 9 without the higher mph you need a 60' min. in the range of 1.30-1.36.

I forgot to add, that we built a 643cc DMX to run 1/4 mile. We had a testing accident at the airport in Mar of this year. The motor was put into a rigid sand chassis & has only ran 300' this year. Next year we plan on putting back into the stock asphalt chassis & running 1/4 mile hopefully around Apr. 

I'm not trying to discourage, just trying to give a realistic picture. I don't speak for Tedder, but I'm willing to share some basic info out in the open forum. If I had to do everything over again, I would probably start with our current basic chassis set-up & a 10mm Cub on race gas.

MPH is one of the problems with running quads in the quarter mile. Anywhere from 123 - 128 mph is what we see. The mph doesn't correlate like it does with a drag car. I'm pretty sure it has to do with shitty aerodynamics. Our slowest drag car ran numerous 10.06s @ 133-134 mph with a best 60' of 1.40. For the quad to run a 9 without the higher mph you need a 60' min. in the range of 1.30-1.36.

i figured the mph would be way lower then a car. My old camaro witch was a heavy street car would run 11.5's at 122 with shitty 60fts. A good rule of thumb is every 1/10th in the 60ft translates to 2-3/10th on the big end. Im also pretty sure one of the reasons the quads have a lower mph over cars is simplely because of HP. 60ft's, and e.t.'s more or less come from set up and weight of the vehicle. MPH "show" the hp of the vehicle.

Im also pretty sure one of the reasons the quads have a lower mph over cars is simplely because of HP. 60ft's, and e.t.'s more or less come from set up and weight of the vehicle. MPH "show" the hp of the vehicle.

I agree MPH show the hp of the vehicle, but there are some other factors that play a role.

Here's something to throw in for debate. Take your reasoning that a quad has lower mph over cars is simply because of HP. Lets take a stock Suzuki Hayabusa for an example. It has around 450 less hp than our 133-134 mph drag car. With a 180-200 lb. average skill rider will run low 10s @ the same mph or higher than our drag car.

Don't worry about the costs......Wes doesn't ride, he just buys, builds and sells.  ;)

:jesterlaugh:

LMAO!!!! I know but I'm determined to change that next year really want to go nuts with it so we will see I will obviously be building a new bike well probably 2 new bikes if I sell the serval but now I'm debating just switching the top end to a cub that way I can utilize that motor as well whether I'm dragging or hitting the trails ill be riding lol

I agree MPH show the hp of the vehicle, but there are some other factors that play a role.

Here's something to throw in for debate. Take your reasoning that a quad has lower mph over cars is simply because of HP. Lets take a stock Suzuki Hayabusa for an example. It has around 450 less hp than our 133-134 mph drag car. With a 180-200 lb. average skill rider will run low 10s @ the same mph or higher than our drag car.

i understand where this is going. Lol. Im not sure what a busa makes power wise but my old 2007 gsxr made 152hp to the tire. That bike went 10.9's@ 132mph. (No air shifter) Now mind you it was my first time at the track on 2wheels so i wasn't the most seasoned rider. But what im getting at is, im pretty sure( and i could me completely wrong) but i doubt your 443cub was making anywhere near the hp as these rockets are producing. I will also say that your 100% correct in saying Arrow dynamics play a row in this equation as well. But at the end of the day IMO power to weight ratio is the biggest factor in any timed event. Another thing to think about is for every 100lbs of weight, your talking about 1/10 of a sec in the 1/4mile. Your drag car, if its a full steel body probably weights anywhere from 2500-3000lbs. Thats quite a bit more then a quad of street bike for that matter. Your talking a full second of e.t. for every 1000lbs. The longer the track, the more HP plays a factor, and thats a fact!

i understand where this is going. Lol. Im not sure what a busa makes power wise but my old 2007 gsxr made 152hp to the tire. That bike went 10.9's@ 132mph. (No air shifter) Now mind you it was my first time at the track on 2wheels so i wasn't the most seasoned rider. But what im getting at is, im pretty sure( and i could me completely wrong) but i doubt your 443cub was making anywhere near the hp as these rockets are producing. I will also say that your 100% correct in saying Arrow dynamics play a row in this equation as well. But at the end of the day IMO power to weight ratio is the biggest factor in any timed event. Another thing to think about is for every 100lbs of weight, your talking about 1/10 of a sec in the 1/4mile. Your drag car, if its a full steel body probably weights anywhere from 2500-3000lbs. Thats quite a bit more then a quad of street bike for that matter. Your talking a full second of e.t. for every 1000lbs. The longer the track, the more HP plays a factor, and thats a fact!

LOL! the good old HQ Circus debate. We have agreed aerodynamics play a part, but I think it's one of the bigger parts. You hit on one of the factors, power to weight ratio. I did the ratio for our drag car & the quad not much of a difference.

Car, total weight 3080 lbs. divided by 630 hp = 1 hp for 4.88 lbs.

Quad, total weight 500 lbs. divided by 97 hp = 1 hp for 5.15 lbs.

You last sentence I totally agree, along with adding aerodynamics. We have ran at Bonneville Salt Flats a few times.

Haha. Im no john force but ive been around the tracks a time or two. And the more i think about it, im SURE im over looking the aerodynamic aspect of things. But one thing i didnt mention above, and something you might be overlooking as well is TQ. This plays a huge role also. Obviously the heavier the buggy, the more tq is needed to propel the vehicle. It all comes down to the whole setup. There are so many variable. The only way to know for sure is to jump on whatever vehicle is in question, strap on your helmet, and give it hell. That little shed you pull up to at the end of the track will have all the answers on one little piece of paper for ya :)

Haha. Im no john force but ive been around the tracks a time or two. And the more i think about it, im SURE im over looking the aerodynamic aspect of things. But one thing i didnt mention above, and something you might be overlooking as well is TQ. This plays a huge role also. Obviously the heavier the buggy, the more tq is needed to propel the vehicle. It all comes down to the whole setup. There are so many variable. The only way to know for sure is to jump on whatever vehicle is in question, strap on your helmet, and give it hell. That little shed you pull up to at the end of the track will have all the answers on one little piece of paper for ya :)

I'm glad the debate ended well.

Lol me to I will post up some pics and what my plan is setup wise here later and u guys can tear that apart till I get a good idea of what I SHOULD be setup like cuz I'm sure I'm way off lol but I'm trying my best lol

While we're talking about hp to weight. I can give examples of mine.

Scimitar 0.36 hp per lb.

650 cc bike (estimated by me not dynoed). 0.34 hp/ lb

10 Mil Cub 0.28 hp/ lb

4 Mil Cub 0.26 hp/ lb

Menz's 421 Cub. Estimated by me. 0.37 hp/lb. he thinks it'll go 3.4s in 300 ft and I think that hp to weight is why he thinks that.

Sorry it's off topic of 1/4 mile racing.