Ceramic Coating Pipes

mhoksch

I just dropped my frame off last night for powdercoat.  The guy was telling me he does alot of ceramic coating on exhaust.  Told me it'd only be about $200 to do my pipes. 

I've got SB IF Shearers, chrome is chipped in a few tiny spots.  Are there any benefits to ceramic coating on the pipes?  How durable is the ceramic?

It doesn't hold up to sand. First ride they will be frosted.

If you talk to Matt he will tell you to ceramic them not powder coat them the powder changes the performance of the pipe.

Sent using Tapatalk

Thats strange. He told me just the opposite. Said ceramic changes the way the pipes works/holds heat , and to only paint or chrome them.

Ok, I want my pipes to be black. Ceramic or powder coat?

I'm looking for pros and cons of each, not just personal opinions.

Sent from my PB99400 using Tapatalk 2

If you talk to Matt he will tell you to ceramic them not powder coat them the powder changes the performance of the pipe.

Sent using Tapatalk

Are you sure? Because I've had that conversation with Matt on the phone when purchasing raw pipes and he told me "absolutely do not ceramic coat these pipes". That was in reference to the small bore inframe pipes. I have seen it help some pipes and hurt others. It just depends on the pipe design.

OP: Don't put any thing on those pipes other then chrome or paint.

Sent using Tapatalk

Are you sure? Because I've had that conversation with Matt on the phone when purchasing raw pipes and he told me "absolutely do not ceramic coat these pipes". That was in reference to the small bore inframe pipes. I have seen it help some pipes and hurt others. It just depends on the pipe design.

OP: Don't put any thing on those pipes other then chrome or paint.

He told me the same thing when I got my raw oof.

Sent from my SGH-T679 using Tapatalk 2

I've had 2 sets of T5's at the same time, one set chrome and a raw set I had Ceramic coated on my son's bike, we always rode together at the dunes. Both bikes had the same mods. The ceramic coated ones were always cooler, and cooled off quicker. I can't say that I knew if it would change the performance of the pipe or not.

How durable was the ceramic?  Did the sand at the dunes scuff it up at all? 

I'll be riding mine mostly on the ice in the winter, but might trail ride in some sandy areas 1-2 times per year

I have had a couple RC 2 stroke pipes ceramic coated. I had Swain Tech do them. They use a real ceramic coating that is applied in molten form. It is ceramic powder so you can only get it in a white. You can paint it what ever color you like afterwards. It is real rough like a pumic stone. Coatings like jet hot are more of a ceramic based paint. They are applied as a liquid then cured.