The 1st Gear Launch, All The Secrets!

SlowerThanYou

• 3 months later...

i know for some odd reason at our drag track a fully drag frame bike with all the dressing......with stock cyl no matter the size runs 0.20 faster launching in 1st instead of 2nd...i bought a set of cub cylinders and put them on my crank and ran 0.20 faster launching in 2nd instead of 1st......everything the identical same......just thought i would add my 2 cents

• Like 1

i know for some odd reason at our drag track a fully drag frame bike with all the dressing......with stock cyl no matter the size runs 0.20 faster launching in 1st instead of 2nd...i bought a set of cub cylinders and put them on my crank and ran 0.20 faster launching in 2nd instead of 1st......everything the identical same......just thought i would add my 2 cents

This is funny you brought this topic to the top. Thanks for sharing your experiences with both start gears.

Surfrag still hasn't figured this thread or game as she refers too. 1st, there are no secrets to the 1st gear launch or even a 2nd gear launch. It's what gear works for you to get your quickest ET.

Coming from a strong running trail bike 6 speed no over ride when i drag race people 90% of the time i have to start in 2nd. Its easier to keep the front end down, i can launch harder without bogging, transition to the next gear easier also.

Coming from the strong trail bike with an N-down 1-5 dunable(no 6th). Mine is set up to launch in 1st. I must brake my tires loose to help keep the front end down as i refuse to stretch my bike. I also have the option to set up my srockets so i can do the same in 2-5th but id loose a gear. I will see how much tq my 10ml ported serval makes once it's done and get it using 1-5th as i always did. Here's 1-5th. 

• 4 months later...

As some know we are advocates of the 1st gear launch. This is primarily necessity for the asphalt, the primary surface we run. We decided to hill shoot in early 2009 & race 300' in late 2011. We were told by most we needed to start in 2nd gear for them surfaces. Our experience & transmission (1-4, manual 5 & 6) led us to follow what we knew.

Anyway, we get questions about using 1st gear launches in conversation(s) & PMs. I can only offer an opinion on the one to use, because we have never used a 2nd gear launch.

Here's the number one thing I would consider in what gear to start in; overall weight, both rider/race ready quad. Somewhere around 480 lbs. & above is where I would consider using 1st gear. I only say that, because that's our lightest overall weight. It still may be advantageous to use 1st gear at a lighter weight. In my opinion 480 lbs. is the line that you need to make that decision.

This is just a couple areas I'm sharing my thoughts/opinion(s) on this subject. I forgot, LOL! with all the secrets BS.

We are finally set-up to test the 2nd gear launch with the DMX. All the testing so far has been done using 1st gear launch. Because of using a 1-4 override with manual 5 & 6. We now have converted the quad to total 300' configuration. The final step was having a 1-5 override trans cut.

While the 1st gear launch worked very well for the Cub. I think the 2nd gear launch will work better for the DMX. We should find out the end of this month.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...