The 1st Gear Launch, All The Secrets!

SlowerThanYou

how are you able to calculate your ratio between first and second... did i ready that you are using a stock primary?

Please clarify the 1st sentence. Are you talking about the ratio spread between the gears & the RPM drop that occurs at the shift?

The 443 cub motor we primarily ran the stock ratio primaries, but started with the 2.68s. The 643 DMX motor we have 2.54 primaries & looks like we might be changing them to a 2.68.

If you cant share why what your doing works then why did you start the thread? If you wont/cant tell why then so be it.

I figure with your ratio you get about 43mph in 1st gear @9999 rpm with 24" tires

Would you beleive im at the same mph with a 2nd gear start?

Im all about thinking outside the box and discussing why it may/may not work but all your saying is 'my 30+ plus years of experience' ' with other things' ' when setup right' 'it just works'

If you look back, i stated im going to try some of the gearing changes so im guessing your rant wasnt directed towards me. If so no skin off my back. Haha

With the gearing spread it makes me think your running a heavier flywheel to help pull the gear. Maybe we will never know...

If you cant share why what your doing works then why did you start the thread? If you wont/cant tell why then so be it.

I figure with your ratio you get about 43mph in 1st gear @9999 rpm with 24" tires

Would you beleive im at the same mph with a 2nd gear start?

Im all about thinking outside the box and discussing why it may/may not work but all your saying is 'my 30+ plus years of experience' ' with other things' ' when setup right' 'it just works'

If you look back, i stated im going to try some of the gearing changes so im guessing your rant wasnt directed towards me. If so no skin off my back. Haha

With the gearing spread it makes me think your running a heavier flywheel to help pull the gear. Maybe we will never know...

I'm sharing what I know for the most part. Is there some forum rule that says I have to tell everything if I start a topic, No!  I can't think of everything when keyboarding a topic. Maybe you're perfect & can, but it's not going to happen with me.

For your 2nd paragraph, you are getting caught up with what you think is happening. You have no idea what rpm we pulled with our old motor & 9999 isn't close.

You & other's haven't figured out how other motorsports tuning, testing, technology, set-ups, etc. applies to ATVs. We use that experience to help our quad, you can't understand it if you haven't done it. 

I'm glad you are considering this. Just the same as I'm open to trying the 2nd gear launch. When I get the right trans or have more than one ATV to do multiple surfaces.

As for the rant, part of that was directed at you. You may or may not of indirectly pointed the finger in the SB. Something was said about our 30 + years drag racing, then came along something about preaching and then a broken record. If someone doesn't like that, refer back to my rant.

Now, you commented on the gearing spread. It's now worse than what you thought. No, we are not using a heavier flywheel.

Now, lets discuss what happens with the 1st gear launch & it's not just about your below quote.

" I figure with your ratio you get about 43mph in 1st gear @9999 rpm with 24" tires

Would you beleive im at the same mph with a 2nd gear start?"

I'm going to ask you a question(s), based on the scenario above. Is this the only thing going on during this period? This is the discussing/discussion portion, have at it.

The mph may be the same, but the amount Of load the motor sees will be a tad bit different and it might get there faster if the set up compensates for it.

My ice racing scenario isn't the same as the 300 ft drag, but I have adopted some of the theory. I have noticed faster lap times by gearing the bike to top out faster as opposed to still carrying gear and accelerating all the way down the straight.

The mph may be the same, but the amount Of load the motor sees will be a tad bit different and it might get there faster if the set up compensates for it.

My ice racing scenario isn't the same as the 300 ft drag, but I have adopted some of the theory. I have noticed faster lap times by gearing the bike to top out faster as opposed to still carrying gear and accelerating all the way down the straight.

Somebody is getting it, but there's still more.

The secret is...2nd gear launch FTW!

Plenty of wins & records with a 1st gear launch!

At the track, not the keyboard.

Really, if it wasn't for your keyboard racer's you wouldn't have the HQ Circus.

I heart the HQ Circus. Fastest racers on the planet.