The 1st Gear Launch, All The Secrets!

SlowerThanYou

Let me rephrase i guess i missed it..

What aspect of the 1st gear launch helps produce a better 60ft time than the vast majority of smaller lighter more powerfull others?

Maybe we are getting somewhere now, instead of chasing our tails. I'm not going to hold my breath though, LOL!

We use our 30 + years of drag racing cars to help with the quad. There's a term referred to as a starting line ratio or launch ratio & probably call other things. There's usually an ideal range for any given style vehicle. While I'm no expert with the quad, we are learning pretty fast.

There are calculators for our drag cars to figure this stuff out. Plus, you have to use experience, usually the more; the better. I have yet to find one for the quad, but I do my own calculations & they seem to work.

Essentially, we try to get a better mechanical advantage/torque multiplication at the launch. You can have too much or not enough & that is key. We seem to have found the ideal ratio on the old 443 cub. We have not found it on the DMX yet, among other things.

Hope that solves your WHY!

This is all a matter of setup... Im running a 1-4 m5-6 And im using a 16 38 gearing with a first gear launch. It struggles sometimes when i hit third but most the time im good. If i went to a second gear start i would have to drop to a 14 or so countershaft.  Which is what the duner bikes i have run.

I only run on the hill and like a m1 2-5 trans. the manual first is nice for riding to the hill and coming back down. also n is in stock location. for that reason a 2nd gear start makes since to avoid that accidental n shift. tried a n down and hated it. in my opinion hill shooters use mph as a tool to see if adjustments help or hurt them. we dont have timers on the hill. also some hills are long enough where a few mph more will let you reel someone in. i know in fallon your in 5th by half hill and prob got 200 foot to go.

Guys he is just offerings info here, he's not saying what you got doesn't work. He's just trying to give info to someone that might need it. I will say he open my eyes on the clutch set up. Tested this past Friday night gain a little more ET and it and it wasn't from mph

This is all a matter of setup... Im running a 1-4 m5-6 And im using a 16 38 gearing with a first gear launch. It struggles sometimes when i hit third but most the time im good. If i went to a second gear start i would have to drop to a 14 or so countershaft. Which is what the duner bikes i have run.

A bit off topic, have you considered a 1-4 m5-6 on the flat track bike yet?

This is just a couple areas I'm sharing my thoughts/opinion(s) on this subject. I forgot, LOL! with all the secrets BS.

On a serious note where are all "the secrets".

I guess you didn't catch the last part of the above quote.

Here's a little tidbit of the puzzle, we change the 1st gear ratio. 

• Like 1

Guys he is just offerings info here, he's not saying what you got doesn't work. He's just trying to give info to someone that might need it.

X many! This is what work for us & we use it in our different types of racing.

60' times win races in 300'. Thats what I gather from this thread.

60ft wins races period ( Drag racing) Don't get me wrong you need to run mph too.

This is how we rank our priorities. The Quickest ET is our first goal, 60' is 2nd & works great to support the 1st goal. Last, but not least is mph. While it provides information, it's low on our priorities.

I will repeat this, I'm not twisting anyone's arms on any of my threads or posts. It's my thoughts & opinions, like everyone else's in the HQ Circus. 

It's fine when my information fits the needs of certain HQ AssClown's. Then when they don't get the information they want to hear or the answer they want. They get all butt hurt. If you don't want to read it, do it, or anything else. It's no skin off my back.

To the other's that get it, when used with other things properly it pays off in low 60' times. That's the decision.

We have pulled mid-low 1.30 60's with both the stock (2.46) 1st gear ratio & the aftermarket (2.54) 1st gear ratio. The 2.54 is good for about a .01-.03 depending on set-up/conditions. 

Now, ponder on that ratio spread. The 2.54 makes the 1-2 spread even worse. We do a couple of different things to make that work with both ratios. We just have to be a little more extreme with the 2.54.

This stuff was learned on our drag cars & our 30+ years experience. If someone doesn't like it, it's not my problem. Fill out your HQ AssClown hurt feelings report & submit it to the HMFIC.