Pro Circuits OK on a Serval?

KarTek

Guys, I'm in the process of putting together a 421 Serval engine. I currently have T5's but I realize those aren't the best for this combo. I'm pretty much down to Pro Circuits, Sheerer SB or maybe R2's or original Rockets if I could find them.

Which way should I go?

Thanks!

guys... its not always about Peak HP... if you need the peak hp then yes go with the proper pipe for it..

A PC pipe is a more accepting pipe on bigger builds from what I read vs the fmf's Toomeys ext..... dont know about a serval... but I know they have been known to run well on ported engines and 4mil stock cyls....

rocket 2's have more peak and "hit" then the originals... the originals have a very smooth power delivery and out pull the other trail pipes... just to give you that extra edge up top.

rocket 2's is the next step IMO... you get a little more down low juice compared to the shears but ofcourse you sacrifice peak hp...

I got a buddy that ran shears and original rockets back to back...

Dont judge on what pipe to buy by peak HP... or your not going to like how your bike performs if your not looking for that every ounce of power up top....

if you ride trails and want that low end grunt the other pipes dont offer... buy a set of used PC's and try them out... its obvious that you wont get the peak power that the other guys are pushing with the shearers or other "drag" pipes.

A lot of people say you can get the shears ext to run just as hard down low as any other pipe with proper set up... well IMO... thats a load of crock... the pipe is built for 1 specific style... its considered a in frame drag pipe for a reason...

now im not saying to go slap some PC's on a full drag ported engine or even vise versa... putting a drag pipe on a MX ported engine... they just dont suit each other one bit...

Guns you do realize you would have to keep your bike a bit higher in rpms to keep on the pipe right? the r2's hit significantly more down low then the shears so when your loosing that rev going up a hill you have a bigger window to downshift

if you need that low end power.. there is no reason to jump to a full out drag pipe unless the engine has been built for it / your looking for that peak hit and hp

ALL IN ALL....

imo.. if you want a bit more peak then what the PC's will prob offer on a serval but you still want low end juice...

go find some rockets or r2's....

But the PC's will offer some NICE low end and you wont be loosing as much power as those t5's...

Pipe selection is just as important as as choosing what kind of porting / engine you want....

This is all on my personal preference / opinion / info I have read on here

So I originally had T5's on my serval and I could tell they had alot more low end pull than these rockets. That being said, with these rockets I still have so much low end in the trails that I don't really want anymore. They pull very clean compared to the T5's and they pull alot longer. The T5's were hard to use on the serval in the trails because they were not smooth like the rockets, they seemed to be rather jerky in my opinion. I would say that on the serval the rockets are way better all the way around that the T5's. When I ran the T5's I also had the stock carbs. With the rockets I'm running 35pwks

I have the original rockets on my serval and I can really feel the loss in my top end... Other than that I love them

So I originally had T5's on my serval and I could tell they had alot more low end pull than these rockets. That being said, with these rockets I still have so much low end in the trails that I don't really want anymore. They pull very clean compared to the T5's and they pull alot longer. The T5's were hard to use on the serval in the trails because they were not smooth like the rockets, they seemed to be rather jerky in my opinion. I would say that on the serval the rockets are way better all the way around that the T5's. When I ran the T5's I also had the stock carbs. With the rockets I'm running 35pwks

Your posts contradict one another.. First says the Rockets have less top end and the second one says they have more top end.. You must've just not been paying attention..

The Rockets will pull way past the T5's or PC's.

Thanks for all the good info! I like the idea of the original Rockets but they seem hard to come by. Maybe I'm not searching the proper places? :confused:

No, they're just hard to come by anymore. The guys that have them keep them and when you do find some for sale they will be $400. I would look into the Snipers for your set up.

Quote from the Sniper intro thread:

"Servel would need a little coaxing to be a great match for Snipers, but you could still bring it into a format less than full drag insanity and very dunable...Jim"

I have a set of snipers for my serval, haven't run them yet. My motor will be set-up for fast, wide open off-road racing, with the occasional 2nd gear stuff.

I questioned James Smart about pipes for the serval and here's his unbiased opinion, for MY application.

JJ, on a bone stock Serval...no mods I would go with CPI. Second choice would be Pro-Circuits but if you have extended wide open runs the PC's will let the engine retain more heat........NOT the best situation for Cross Country. If you have even a small chance of future modiifications to your Serval, buy the Snipers.

Shearer's were not an option for me, because it is almost impossible to run an airbox with them.

Your posts contradict one another.. First says the Rockets have less top end and the second one says they have more top end.. You must've just not been paying attention..

The Rockets will pull way past the T5's or PC's.

So what I was meaning with the loss in my top end... I can feel a loss of power with the rockets in the top end compared to the low and mid on the rockets. But as far as the T5s go the rockets have way more up top.

Does that make since? Lol

Looking at my Serval cylinders, it doesn't look like they've been ported but I'm assuming the port design is different than stock hence the benefit of running them, besides the displacement advantage.

Thanks again for the discussion.