Lock Out/Lock-Up Tuning

SlowerThanYou

Anyone wanna share some success stories with incorporating clutch tuning to their current set ups? I haven't been to the track enough to do any changes this year. Definitely will next year.

There has been 1 or 2 shared in this thread & I've had probably around 10 shared in PMs. Plus, I've seen a few personally with my close friends/family.

What I've found since starting this thread. The vast majority wants to keep the clutch information for themselves. I get many people wanting me to provide personal clutch tuning either in PMs or even with phone calls. 

The whole purpose of this thread was to share the information equally with the BHQ Member's. I soon found other's coming to the site to cherry pick the information. Hence the reason(s), I keep the good chunk of privy information for myself & family (including Tedder). Not saying the information given is junk, It's a starting point of the best basics I know (Baseline, Base Pressure & Arm Weight In That Order) & a few extras. Then it's up to the end user to build on them basics.

There was nothing easy about learning this stuff. It took too many years, too many runs on different/varying surfaces & I still learn to this day when I take the quad out. 

I went from 1.6s to 1.4s using the info in this thread. I was using 2.68 and tried everything i could to slow the arms down and couldn't get it done. Now I am using 2.86 and i think its alot easier to tune than 2.68 by far. I went from a 2.23 with 2.68 prim to 2.11 with the 2.86 and pulled that gear easy by tuning the clutch.

Track time/seat and your time slips will tell you what direction you're going.

• 3 weeks later...

"Deadbeat : (16 October 2015 - 08:22 PM)

he chimed in on airgap you might as well of called him a fool...what an asshole"

Jmadd, your name was brought up in the SB & that I called you a fool. If you or anyone else feel that I've been an asshole in this thread please let me know & I'll humbly apologize.

I didn't go back and look where I commented on air gap, only that I remember I was referring to air gap as something different and perhaps wrong in the generally accepted terminology.

As I've mentioned before, we rarely even mess with the clutch as long as it's working.

The only disagreements you and I had were about some 60' times where we both agreed to disagree.

I didn't go back and look where I commented on air gap, only that I remember I was referring to air gap as something different and perhaps wrong in the generally accepted terminology.

As I've mentioned before, we rarely even mess with the clutch as long as it's working.

The only disagreements you and I had were about some 60' times where we both agreed to disagree.

I didn't think there was a problem/issue between us, but wanted to make sure. Deadbeat Nancy was all concerned that I don't encourage anyone on the BHQ & she used you as an example. Sorry, you got bothered with it.

Jmadd, your name was brought up in the SB & that I called you a fool. If you or anyone else feel that I've been an asshole in this thread please let me know & I'll humbly apologize.

Pretty sure I made myself clear with that post.

lol now appologise to Surf

You like dragging people into your imaginary world. You were wrong with j-madd, so now you try to drag someone else in.  

Dont owe me nothing..

Thanks for all yoi have shared STY

Thanks Surf! I know we haven't always seen eye to eye, but we are both here to help member's.

Wrong again Deadbeat, pick another name from your fairy land.

Some don't get it.^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

• 3 months later...

From everyone's experience does it seem easier to tune the clutch on a heavy bike compared to a superlight one? Or vice versa. It seems like everyone is going as light as possible these days.. but STY said he has a pretty heavy quad yet still can pull some really good 60ft times...

Light or heavy weight doesn't change the complexity of the clutch tune. It only changes the set-up of the clutch tune. More weight loads the clutch more (more slip) & less weight loads the clutch less (less slip).

This is for barneyb7 to answer:

Now, using my quad with a total weight 540 lbs. & only changing the total weight to 470 lbs. You have already base lined your clutch. What should be your next step in the tuning process?  

I think the best place to start would be to start taking spring pressure out.. Probably 5lbs at a time while watching the 60ft to see what to do next. If your clutch was correct at 540lb then taking 70lb off the total setup, I'd say you would need a decent amount less pressure.

Glad to know a few are getting a clue.

I've started messing with the new time delayed lockout from direct drive and I've gotta say it's a much better design than the original. No longer do u have to work to slow the arms down spring tension does it for . It's closer to a multistage design that I use on street bikes but a fraction of the cost . I do however recommend learning the basics and seeing results with the basics before jumping into a lockout with a 3rd parameter.