Takai Performance coils/wires

Schweet97Z

I was given the opportunity to test a new ignition setup from Takai. They produce products for MX bikes for racing applications. They have a system for the Banshee that they wanted to begin testing. So now I have one. I will be doing the install with pics and a full review on how it works. Its a two coil setup; one for each cylinder. I will throw up pics shortly. I will also be doing dyno comparison compared to stock coil setup.

• Replies 131
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Cam, Rumor has it if all goes as planned, they will be charging in upwards of $550 for this setup. Now one has to remember these are race/mx quality parts where money is no object and the best quality products are used, so keep that in the back of your head. Im skeptical when it comes to igntion systems. I have never found any aftermarket ignition system as "Better" than stock on any of my vehicles. Takai claims are high IMO and im going to put it to real world tests. I've talked to one of the engineers on the phone and he makes alot of sense when he talks about the advantages to run two coils compared to 1. I am hoping for good results with one main thing in general, and that is easier starts. I always foul a plug on my left cylinder if it sits for awhile, the engineer said its due to the single coil polarity, and that it changes from cylinder to cylinder and causes weaker spark in one over than the other. Anything else that it nets me is a bonus. So we will see, im no way promoting the product, just thought id share my journey in a cool opportunity that I have. :headbang:

• 2 weeks later...

Well I got the coils mocked up today. I used a JDS Customs Nology coil bracket that I had and modified it a bit to work with these coils. The wiring harness that they included is wrong. So I have to modift that in order for it to work as well. Other that that the install went smooth and it was rather quick and painless. I wasn't able to start it as I need some male spade connectors.

Banshee1.jpg

Banshee2.jpg

Banshee3.jpg

Banshee4.jpg

Banshee5.jpg

what is the point of 2 coils when they still fire at the same time?

Now remember im just quoting what the Engineer told me and that is, the Polarity of the coil is different on a single coil feeding two or more cylinders. Spark to one cylinder will be weaker than the other. A coil to plug setup is ideal, because each cylinder is getting the most possible spark.

Would you guys mind if he posts on here not being a sponsor to explain? Loco, what are your thoughts? If not its cool. I wont send Mark the link to respond until you guys give me the OK. Let me know. Im sure you guys will have more technical questions than I can answer.

MSD has dominated the racing circuit for just about any sport by providing a hotter more consistent spark for years. There could be some advantages here, but that kind of price tag is ridiculous. I don't think its going to yeild that much of a hp increase, especially when you factor in the hp/dollar amount. I'm interested to see the results though!

Whether you are driving a single two tower coil in wasted spark, or two single tower coils in wasted spark I don't believe there to be much gain other than the secondary output of the "better" coil being higher. If the engineer is taking about the amount of time to charge to the coil to full saturation(dwell), they will be the same amount of time in Milliseconds. If you were to drive the coils separate there might be something to be had with a longer dwell, but I am grasping for straws on that. By all means, it's cool to see something a bit different though. I hope it proves me wrong!

I appreciate that this thread is not turning into a shit storm. I forwarded the link to Takai and they don't want to get involved and cause confrontation and turn the thread into something that it doesn't need to be, so they are going to stay neutral and let my testing do the talking to prove the nay sayers wrong.

He did send me a diagram of stock coil polarity. Im not going to sit here and pretend to know anything about this diagram, because I dont. But never the less here it is.

OECOIL.jpg

I appreciate that this thread is not turning into a shit storm. I forwarded the link to Takai and they don't want to get involved and cause confrontation and turn the thread into something that it doesn't need to be, so they are going to stay neutral and let my testing do the talking to prove the nay sayers wrong.

He did send me a diagram of stock coil polarity. Im not going to sit here and pretend to know anything about this diagram, because I dont. But never the less here it is.

Like I told you in the PM, without dyno sheets proving this kit is worth $500, they are wasting their time. NO ONE is going to spend that kind of money without some sort of proof. And with all due respect, your "testing" isn't going to mean or prove anything to anyone.