Pro Circuit Jetting

stacman450

just put some pro circuits on bone stock bike.. elevation is 2000-2500.. weather now is 60-75... stock carbs, air box snorkle removed only.. have 200 mains in and not to sure on pilots. prob stock... ran before pipes were added.. now it starts and smokes like hell, and the "smoke" evaporates fast.. back fireing in left cylinder and smoking bad.. fresh gas 93. in it.. any help on a guess to what is going on and where to start on jetting.. i have 250 and 240 mains.. to play with.. stock needles.. thanks in advance..

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

just put some pro circuits on bone stock bike.. elevation is 2000-2500.. weather now is 60-75... stock carbs, air box snorkle removed only.. have 200 mains in and not to sure on pilots. prob stock... ran before pipes were added.. now it starts and smokes like hell, and the "smoke" evaporates fast.. back fireing in left cylinder and smoking bad.. fresh gas 93. in it.. any help on a guess to what is going on and where to start on jetting.. i have 250 and 240 mains.. to play with.. stock needles.. thanks in advance..

so you went from stock pipes to pro circuits?

Wow dude, something doesnt sound right, you dont just bolt pipes on a banshee and it bakes it backfire and stuff...anywyas, your clip on your stock needle should be on the 4th clip down from the top, that altitude prob a 270 main and a 27.5 pilot with the air fuel screw about 1.5 or 2 turns out from lightly seated, check that your floats are in good shape and operating correctly, the float height should measure 22mm from the carb body to the top of the float without compressing the spring on the float neelde, if you hold the carb upright, the float will hang loose, then rotate it until the float just barely stops moving, use a caliper to measure 22mm from the top of the black plastic float to the flat part of the carb where the gasket would be... but it sounds like something else is wrong from what you are explaning...what ratio do you mix your gas at and what kind of oil are you running ? if it was running before you switched the pipes and then strated runing like crap, you had to hit a wire or something...jet your carb and put it all back together, be sure not to switch your slides as there is a left and a right (the cutaway on the slide goes toward the rear of the bike) make sure you put your airbox on right and that there are no leaks, air or fluid...check your plugs are gapped at .022" and if shes still messed up its not your jetting...

yah man. i just switched out.. but prior to me puttin pipes on i cleaned carbs, completly. ran good but i may have switched the slides as they were out of the carbs. maybe the damn tors system... only left cylinder doing it so who knows. coolant level stays good..

im using klotz r50 at 36to1. ... thanks for the info.. im lost though never had one do this to me...

yah man. i just switched out.. but prior to me puttin pipes on i cleaned carbs, completly. ran good but i may have switched the slides as they were out of the carbs. maybe the damn tors system... only left cylinder doing it so who knows. coolant level stays good..

im using klotz r50 at 36to1. ... thanks for the info.. im lost though never had one do this to me...

I prefer running klotz at 40:1. Get that tors off there and check your slides.

I prefer running klotz at 40:1. Get that tors off there and check your slides.

its weird bc until the procircuits were on it ran great.. but yeah im gettting that shit off the top of the carbs.. they are a pain... but i played with air fuel screw last night seemed to help some but ill play with it more today..

its weird bc until the procircuits were on it ran great.. but yeah im gettting that shit off the top of the carbs.. they are a pain... but i played with air fuel screw last night seemed to help some but ill play with it more today..

It runs like shit because you need to get your baseline jet specs set up for the new pipes. After you set up a baseline you adjust main jet first, then needle, then pilot circuit.

If you running then lid then the mains should be around 240-250

If your not running the lid then the mains should be around 290ish with a 27.5 pilot.

So you need to decide if your wanting to run the lid or not. Or you can drill some holes in the top of the lid to help bring in more air but still get the added protection from the lid.

You need to remember when jetting the banshee.

Mains 3/4-WOT

Needles 1/4-3/4 throttle.

Pilots/Airscrew's idle-1/4

Also you need to make sure the slides are synced or you will have a hard time fine tuning the bottom end in. I try to get the needle and the air screws close. But you need to set the main first. Then the needle, then the low end. Changing mains will change the needle setting some times. I just got lazy and left my needle and just changed my main when temps started to change on me. Then just fine tuned the air screws as the day went by.

There are some great write ups on here about how to do plug chops. There is also a video on how to sync the carbs as well.

yeah my carbs are synced perfect.. so should i start with the air screws. for idle. it wont idle good never has as long asive had it.. ive got 250 mains in now.. should i lean my needle or richen it.. and also im running lid. just took snorkle off..

yeah my carbs are synced perfect.. so should i start with the air screws. for idle. it wont idle good never has as long asive had it.. ive got 250 mains in now.. should i lean my needle or richen it.. and also im running lid. just took snorkle off..

We can't teLl u what to do with out riding the bike. So this is were plug chops come in play. Also, when u say the carbs are synced, did u use a vac gauge to dial them in?

Yep, You need to dial in the mains first bud. Start bigger than you think you'll need & go down till you get rid of the WOT bog, and do a plug chop to make sure your safe & not too lean. Adjust the needle clip to clean up the mid range, and then go to the pilots/air screws.

Yep, You need to dial in the mains first bud. Start bigger than you think you'll need & go down till you get rid of the WOT bog, and do a plug chop to make sure your safe & not too lean. Adjust the needle clip to clean up the mid range, and then go to the pilots/air screws.

hey man thanks for the help.. everyone thats helped.. the only problem is is that its running like shit and dont know if i need to get it wot yet.. not idleing good..backfires left cylinder,, may be plugs tho.. thanks man