Dyno Poll Results

2into1piperun13.jpg

dynosinglecarb018.jpg

dynodualcarb016.jpg

They are all in order.

It looks like about 55% got graph 1 right.

About 35% got graph 2 right.

That leaves graph 3 with about 35% getting that one right as well.

1st one is the dynoport setup with the single carb.

2nd one is the pro circuits with the single 35mm pwk.

3rd one is the pro circuits with dual mikuni 28mm flatslides.

Graph 1 was a lugging terd. That single pipe would lug and then hit and rev to the moon all of the sudden. Overall it accelerated the slowest out of any pipe I have ridden with on this bike. Once you were on the pipe it was easy to stay on it if you could go fast and didn't let up too much. I had to make the bike wheelie, and it definitely was weak on the topend. Out of the hole it did not even feel close to the torque that the pro circuits make. I hated that pipe and carb setup now that I know what I was missing. Peak rpm was about 8,800 rpm.

Graph 2 was a lot better everywhere than graph 1 was. Bottom end felt the same as it does now with my graph 3 setup. Top end was a little different, when I would drag race or hill climb the bike would sort of flatten out a bit and quit pulling at the top. With the twin carbs it will continously pull all the way through every gear in a drag race easy, as when it had a single it would flatten out. On the hills you would hit some inconsistent spots with the single carb, where it may have to be shifted down if you were in a high gear and lost momentum. With dual carbs it will pull rpm and hold it at the least and not slow the bike down. Midrange pull is better with the dual carbs over the single carbs. peak rpm on this setup is about 8,700 rpm. with the hp curve tapering off quite a bit at the end of the run and you can tell when your riding the bike.

The Graph 3 setup is the wheelie monster, and its the current setup I run and will continue to run. I did add the dyna cdi, moved to a stock reed cage with carbon tech mid reeds, went to 18cc domes, and put on a dyna coil as well. Its the funnest to ride and pretty much shines everywhere. It does well on the sand trails, in the holes, and climbing hills. It will even manage to win most of the occasional friendly drag races with other 350's and even some 4 mills I know. It accelerates the fastest out of all them, and feels like it makes the most torue out of all of the setups shown. This setup also has a great torque backup. You can let off or slow down and get back on the throttle again and the revs will pick back up. Going to the stock cages from vf3's made the bike pull harder through the midrange and the topend feels the same. Of course on this setup the redline is around 8,750-8,850 rpm with the bike still wanting to make more hp and you can feel it. So the true colors of the vf3 would not shine on a low-mid motor.

Ok, between the two dynos here is the deal. I ran the dynoport setup on a rear wheel dynojet. The pro circuit setup was ran on a land and sea crank dyno (way more accurate). The dynoport setup made 50.34 hp and 29.76 ft lbs torque on the dynojet. I did run the graph 3 setup with all the upgrades on that dynojet again this last summer. It made 56.97 hp and 43.87 ft lbs of torque.

The pro circuits make much broader power than the dynoport pipe and the bike accelerates much faster and is a whole lot funner to ride.

Single carb to dual carbs. Same feeling bottom end, same feeling lower midrange, upper midrange much faster acceleration with twins and much stronger feeling topend with twin carbs. Throttle response feels more crisp with the twin 28mm carbs, and accelration feels faster with the twin carbs. Single carb guys: If the single carb had a low-mid power advantage over the twins, trust me I would be running it. There is no better feeling than going out and outclimbing my cosuins low-mid 4 mill and then beating him in a drag race with my low-mid port 350. If I could get more low-mid power out of it, I would. I have done everything I could do to test all the best power making options. We even dyno tested some custom dyna ignition curves that I made and got that all dialed in.

Good news is my porting can go a little further. My intake bridge and the upper intake hump can be worked a little. My transfers can be opened up a little more and my cases can still stand to be matched. So when it blows up, I will get all that done. But till then, this bike is making the most power it can and everything has been squeezed out of it and dialed in for a good strong low-mid setup.

Nice write up...I wish I had the time to go through all you did.

Are you using the out of the box curves on the dyna, or did you program it at all?

I'd be curious as to what kind of numbers you can come up with using each of the stock curves...then a custom programmed curve to your bike.

Are you relying on a timing plate as well, or just the dyna for advance?

I know this is a stupid question based on how and where you ride, but have you messed with a lightened flywheel at all either?

Nice write up...I wish I had the time to go through all you did.

Are you using the out of the box curves on the dyna, or did you program it at all?

I'd be curious as to what kind of numbers you can come up with using each of the stock curves...then a custom programmed curve to your bike.

Are you relying on a timing plate as well, or just the dyna for advance?

I know this is a stupid question based on how and where you ride, but have you messed with a lightened flywheel at all either?

I ran one out of box curve (3) with +4 degrees advance that I added with the programmer. The rest of them were custom curves with custom advance that I made with the programmer. We ran it on the dynojet and we were able to get the bike to improve on run times with the custom curves I made. Curve 3 made the most hp, and one of the best looking torque curves. So as of right now I use that one. I plan on doing more dyno testing with the crank dyno and seeing what the dyna can do in the future.

I do run a lightened flywheel. There proves not to be a real easy way to test it on the dyno. The heavier flywheel is supposed to improve holeshot or initial take off torque. Then the lighter one is supposed to improve acceleration time. We cant check the holeshot torque because the dyno starts to accurately sample around 5,500 rpm. We may be able to check run time, but we have never had a stock weight flywheel on hand to throw on the motor.

Very interesting...

When I ran my plate and Dyna...I ran 7 or 8 on the plate and curve 3 on my dyna as well, 4 mil cub on gas.

It seemed to give the best off the line acceleration...

Yeah I was testing on the flats as well and found curve 3 was the best feeling out of all the curves I have made and the ones that come with it. Riding the bike with the stock curve at +4 actually feels alot diferent than curve 3 at +4. I didn't like it with the stock curve at all. The dyna is actually a pretty nice mod.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 4 years later...